Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Reproductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   stocking of repros (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26312)

Daniel G Rainey 01-22-2019 08:36 AM

stocking of repros

After looking at the normal web sites that sale Parker repros it seem to me that a lot of these guns appear to be stocked high. Drop at the heel of 2 1/4 is about normal. A gun stocked that high would no more work for me than a Parker made 1900 with 3 inch drop at the heel. Are there many or any repros with drop at the heel of 21/2 or 25/8?

Dean Romig 01-22-2019 08:56 AM

Yes there are but like you’re discovering, there aren’t a lot of them.

The straight, or English, grip models are typically stocked even higher than their pistol grip cousins. The two straight grip repros I owned were stocked pretty high but I learned to shoot them both pretty well. I did find that the older I get, the less flexible I am becoming and it’s not as easy to adjust to an ill-fitting stock as I once could.

Randy G Roberts 01-22-2019 09:46 AM

I'm with you Daniel. I have bought and sold several over the years to keep the gun fund running but never owned one personally for just that reason. They don't fit me at all which is to bad as they are beautiful guns......

Brian Dudley 01-22-2019 12:55 PM

The Cataloged standard dimensions of Repros of all gauges was 1-3/8" at Comb and 2-3/16" at heel. Now, the comb on Repros is about 1" father rearward that Meriden Parkers, so that Comb dimensions equates to more like 1-1/4" on a closer comb. I personally feel like these dimensions are too high for many shooters, but it was clearly felt that more wanted dims like these at that time.

I have found some Repros are closer to the 1-1/2" and 2-1/2" Drops that most would feel more suitable today, but that is not the norm.

Kenny Graft 02-20-2019 10:31 AM

I could talk for hours about this issue. I will try to keep it short. I learned to hunt rabbits at about 11, dad gave me a heavy 12 SXS non selector 30". I used it but never liked it! My older brother was given a little lovely Fox 20 SW with double ivories...man it was sweet! Dad no longer hunted and we did not have much luxury cash in them days so I used the big 12 for several years. I did ok on rabbits if they got out there or I cut them in half. Don't think I ever hit a rooster with that gun. Now I know why..pretty sure I was shooting under them. I started working at 16 for Woolworths in the coffee shop, soon I bought a Hi Standard pump 20....I shot that gun well! Later I got a better paying job in Sheet&Yube steel mill. Being a smart modern young man I thought I wanted a Over Under they looked so cool and sleek! I bought a SKB 600 all engraved up, silver receiver 26" 20ga. I sold my pump to a older kid. I soon found out I could not hit with the SKB and sold it, next I bought a Remington 870. It saw little use...I got very interested in GIRLS. That lasted way to long, did not get married till I was 35. So now I get back into hunting, deer was my main interest as we no longer had wild pheasants left in eastern Ohio. Ohio was a shotgun state back then so I bought a deer barrel for 870. Then one day on the Gun List that came in the mail I saw the full page add for Parker Reproduction SXS shotguns at close-out prices. I got on the phone to Jaque's and bought a 20ga two barrel set.....My SXS addiction started that day! An infection I still have as I type. I did not like the single trigger of my PR, it was way to hard to switch the barrel selector. So I sold that set and looked for a double trigger model that I found in short order. About that time I started shooting sporting clays. Something I had never done before so I had to learn. I shot and shot till I started breaking birds and slowly got better at it. Self taught and had no clue about stock dimensions and all that. I kept shooting and learned to shoot my repro and got much better at it. Well that gun is stocked 1 1/4 by 2 1/8 That is high compared to the old Parkers and Fox guns I wanted to own. Wow that dimensions stuff is important! Now today a look for the old guns that are stocked hi. They are hard to find indeed, its a battle I fight all the time. In the past 10 years I have bought several PR sets and 3 Parker guns that have hi stocks. I ordered a made for me CSMC Fox and bought a few English guns and two Ithica Classic doubles all are stocked kinda hi. My advise is...If you want to own all kinds of shotguns and be able to shoot them (ALL) well stick with 1 1/2 2 1/2 and the correct pull you shoot. You can find the old ones stocked that way if you take your time. Minor bending will also help in some cases. Restocking is a expensive option. I know the PR market...there are guns out there with lower dimensions, look for one of them! I am a wild bird hunter, I do not have time to think about what gun I have and how it shoots hi or low, I want a gun in my hands that shoots exactly ware I point it....period. I have shot the feet of several roosters and blasted the breast meat...not good! When I have a proper fitting gun its head shots for me...(-: Stock dimensions are not the whole story, get to the patterning board often, shoot sporting clays and find your sweet spot. Don't buy guns that do not fit if you plan to hunt with them. SXS Ohio

James L. Martin 02-20-2019 06:24 PM

Like many I had a 28ga repro ,it was stocked too high, sold it to a friend who also found it too high. Never understood why they were not made in a few different stock dimensions.

Dave Suponski 02-20-2019 07:38 PM

And that is the only reason that the two 28 gauge Repros that I have owned in the past have been sold.

Randy G Roberts 02-20-2019 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Suponski (Post 266579)
And that is the only reason that the two 28 gauge Repros that I have owned in the past have been sold.

That's why I have never owned one. That and they left off about 4" of barrel.:)

Jay Gardner 02-21-2019 09:25 AM

How hard would it be to bend a repro stock?

Greg Baehman 02-21-2019 10:15 AM

Forum associate, Chuck Heald, bent his Repro's D@H more than 3/8" down.
http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9320
. . . and more on the matter . . .
http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17035
. . . and even more on the matter . . .
http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7127