Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Website & Forum - Help & Assistance (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Looking for advice on repair (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6251)

geoff clark 01-28-2012 12:05 PM

Looking for advice on repair

15 Attachment(s)
Greetings from Alabama and thanks for the helpful and very informative site.

I have a Parker 12ga that has been in my family since new. I believe the stock was replaced many years ago and is not original . The story is that the gun hung on the wall in the living room and my Grandmother's (she was a little girl at the time) night gown hung on the gun. She pulled her nightgown and the gun fell, breaking the stock.

The gun has misfired with me in the past. It will still shoot, just will go off sometimes (not every time) when the breech is being closed. I took it to a local gunsmith who has been in business for 50 years. He disassembled the gun and was unable to repair it because he could not find the necessary part. He said the cocking piece was worn out and should be replaced. He recommended sending the gun to Briley's for repair. He said he had used Briley's in the past with excellent results. He also told me that the gun is in good shape other than the worn cocking piece.

My question- given the current condition and grade of the gun, who would you recommend to repair the gun? I am not trying to have the gun restored, but I would like to be able to shoot it.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

geoff clark 01-28-2012 09:42 PM

Additional information: The gun would still shoot before I took it to the gunsmith. Now it will not cock. I just got it back from the gunsmith yesterday. Not sure what he did that now it will not cock. I know it would cock before I took it to him.

I would appreciate any advice on who you would recommend to make repairs to this gun.

Dean Romig 01-28-2012 11:08 PM

He probably put something back in upside down... a real "novice" move :shock:

geoff clark 01-29-2012 08:56 AM

You are probably right on the upside down.

Now that it won't work at all, I would like to send or preferably take it to someone who will repair it. I am located near Birmingham, AL. Any suggestions on who to take it or send it to?

Dean Romig 01-29-2012 09:18 AM

Abe Chaber in Connecticut fixed mine after I reassembled it with a part 'upside down' and he wasn't too hard on me for my mistake... he even suggested I might be an amatuer.

That's not too bad - I guess I've graduated from "novice". :smiley7:

geoff clark 01-29-2012 10:02 AM

Thanks for the information. How would I get in touch with Abe?

Do you know of anyone a little further south than CT? I would really like to take the gun to someone if possible instead of shipping it.

David Weber 02-01-2012 11:32 AM

Second Choice

I have used Brad Bachelder for repairs. Web site is:

bacheldermastergunmakers.com/Bachelder_Master_Gunmakers/

edgarspencer 02-01-2012 05:22 PM

Without question, there are very likely competent gunsmiths closer to you, but It's my experience that the recomendations you get here will be for men who are most familiar with Parkers. Kinda like you not taking your Ford to the Chevy dealer,just because they were closer. CT isn't that far after you put it in the post. Also, Brad Batcheldor is a well known SxS man, who knows his way around these guns.

Chuck Bishop 02-01-2012 07:51 PM

Google Darlington Gun Works in South Carolina. I haven't had them do work for me but many on this forum have and highly recommend them. They should be pretty close to Alabama.

geoff clark 02-03-2012 10:18 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will follow up with them.