Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Receiver finish (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34878)

Victor Tamini 12-01-2021 12:50 PM

Receiver finish

Maybe a stupid question, I’m new to the Parker world.
Were all grades of Parker’s color case hardened? When new was the engraving on the higher end guns plainly visible? It would seem that the dark colors of case color would not allow the engraving to be seen. And were they always engraved very lightly or is it from use and wear that the engraving seems very light?

Brian Dudley 12-01-2021 02:25 PM

Yes, all Parkers were case hardened. And pretty much any other maker of the era as well. The steels used at the time needed to be case hardened for proper function and durability.

Dean Romig 12-01-2021 03:40 PM

Depending on the era and more especially the engraver, some were very lightly/finely engraved. While another engraver might engrave more deeply with somewhat bolder strokes and cuts. I have a very nice DH made in 1898-9 that has some of the finest, most delicate engraving I’ve seen, and no, it’s not worn a bit.

Dave Noreen 12-01-2021 03:57 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Were the very deep relief engraved guns like the Whit 1s originally color case hardened? I sure don't see any vestiges of case colors in the two I've saved pictures of.

Attachment 101678

Attachment 101679

Attachment 101680

Attachment 101681

Attachment 101682

Attachment 101683

Attachment 101684

Attachment 101685

Attachment 101686

Dean Romig 12-01-2021 04:54 PM

4 Attachment(s)
AAHE 16

My point in posting these pictures is that the high relief engraving was plainly visible when color case hardened. Less so on grades 6 down to 2 with lighter, finer engraving.

Dean Romig 12-01-2021 05:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My DH 90739

Granted, it is somewhat worn but very lightly and finely engraved nonetheless.

Victor Tamini 12-01-2021 05:14 PM

Good Lord that’s beautiful!

Steve Huffman 12-01-2021 06:10 PM

Dean have your barrels been refinished

edgarspencer 12-01-2021 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Noreen (Post 349230)
Were the very deep relief engraved guns like the Whit 1s originally color case hardened?

Dave, while I wasn't there, it would be my assumption that all guns, irrespective of grade, were case hardened. Color Case Hardened is somewhat a misnomer, because the case hardening process is a heat treatment for mechanical properties (Tensile, Yield Strength, and hardness) The colors achieved in the process are a secondary byproduct. There are other ways to heat treat for mechanical properties, but when heat treating a finished, machined part, Case Hardening is the most practical, because the process virtually eliminates the possibility of the scale that results from either Normalize & Temper, or Quench & Temper. The temper cycle of these two processes is effectively a stress relieving cycle. Ductility, reported as Elongation, and Reduction of Area (of a tensile test bar) is inversely proportional to hardness; hence, receivers which are Case Hardened, while having surface hardness, have low ductility, nearer the outside edges. The core of the section may be somewhat more ductile, but thinner section are going to be borderline brittle (Remember the cracks of the pre-13,000 Lifters at the junction of the standing breach and water table?)
As to the absence of colors on the highly (and heavily) engraved A1 guns, I am guessing they were polished off, or eliminated in a French Gray process. I am certain they were there when the part was retrieved from the quench bath. The surface of the water table (engine turned to some) was almost certainly done after the heat treatment, and also would have removed any colors from case hardening.

Andrew Sacco 12-01-2021 07:09 PM

Edgar, wonderful post. A thumbs up "thanks" won't suffice for that information.