Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   To Shoot or Not To Shoot (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30745)

Scott Pitts 07-26-2020 04:12 PM

To Shoot or Not To Shoot

67 Attachment(s)
I just recently picked up this Parker while visiting home in Arkansas. I know little to nothing about Parker shotguns so I'm a newbie.
*This is a beautiful shotgun as is, but I'm wondering what restoration I can do without diminishing the value?
*I'm interested in the history of the gun ie. year, model, style, etc.
*I would also like to know what the estimated value/grade in this condition (see photos)?
*And finally can I shoot it?
*What would be the proper ammo?

The Shotgun is tight and firing pins look good too. Both barrels have a couple of dings which concerns me. Any help or direction is greatly appriciated.
Thanks SP

Rick Losey 07-26-2020 04:40 PM

wow- that is a lot of photos :rotf:

but better more than not enough

first - have the barrels inspected by a qualified double gunsmith- most 'smiths are not

and have the head of the stock inspected - looks like it might be loose or have a splitting issue

its a well worn D/3 grade- if the inspection gives it a clean bill of health - get some RST 2 1/2 shells and shoot it

as for restoration - just fix what needs to be done to make it a safe shooter and enjoy-

Brian Dudley 07-26-2020 05:02 PM

The buttstock is not original. Not even a Parker stock by the look of it. Looks like a relatively poorly made stock made by who-knows-who. The fitment is pretty poor at the head. And though it may go bang, it may not hold up well under a lot of use and recoil.

Russell E. Cleary 07-26-2020 10:15 PM

Nice find in my book.
Recognizing the beauty of the gun, as it has obviously not been coddled during it's long history, suggests you may be well on your way to a greater appreciation of Parker guns and their uses (as well as the Parker Gun Collectors Association).

As per the PARKER GUN Identification & Serialization book, by C. E. Price and S. P. Fjestad:

1) Your gun is of D3 quality code, which means a nice grade 3 gun (colloquially known as the "doctor’s grade"); and it has Damascus barrels

2) “hammerless” action type (no external hammers);

3) No extras were ordered for the factory to add to the gun.

4) Straight stock

5)12-gauge

6) 30-inch barrels, on which is indicated that the gun is #2-weight.

If you tell us where you are located someone will likely chime in and suggest a vintage gun-qualified smith for inspection; repair to barrels; and a stocker for repair of stock; or if so-inclined, a Parker-consistent replacement stock.

Restoration levels are always subject to debate, but making any antique that that you intend to use and display minimally respectable-looking, for me is the baseline.

Russell E. Cleary 07-26-2020 11:14 PM

Scott:

To answer another of your questions: The manufacture date is 1896.

As for value, others more qualified than I may answer.

Also, there are factory records available, which enables issuance of a PGCA Research Letter. The cost is $40 for members; $100 for non-members.

Scott Pitts 07-27-2020 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell E. Cleary (Post 308027)
Nice find in my book.
Recognizing the beauty of the gun, as it has obviously not been coddled during it's long history, suggests you may be well on your way to a greater appreciation of Parker guns and their uses (as well as the Parker Gun Collectors Association).

As per the PARKER GUN Identification & Serialization book, by C. E. Price and S. P. Fjestad:

1) Your gun is of D3 quality code, which means a nice grade 3 gun (colloquially known as the "doctor’s grade"); and it has Damascus barrels

2) “hammerless” action type (no external hammers);

3) No extras were ordered for the factory to add to the gun.

4) Straight stock

5)12-gauge

6) 30-inch barrels, on which is indicated that the gun is #2-weight.

If you tell us where you are located someone will likely chime in and suggest a vintage gun-qualified smith for inspection; repair to barrels; and a stocker for repair of stock; or if so-inclined, a Parker-consistent replacement stock.

Restoration levels are always subject to debate, but making any antique that that you intend to use and display minimally respectable-looking, for me is the baseline.

Thank you. I'm in Jacksonville, Florida.

Russell E. Cleary 08-03-2020 09:45 PM

Scott:

No one has emerged to suggest a suitable gunsmith in your area. So I suggest that you look through the following thread:

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthr...ight=gunsmiths