Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Lever to the left (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30521)

Keith Doty 06-27-2020 05:06 PM

Lever to the left

I've been looking at a pretty nice DHE 12 ga. It's got a few whacks and dings but overall pretty nice. The biggest issue I see is the lever is a bit LEFT of center. Not hugely but it is left. Down side? What is the cause and what is the cure? Typical cost of the "cure"? My thanks for any help here.

Dean Romig 06-27-2020 08:27 PM

Keith, it isn't broken so don't fix it..... unless there is looseness of the barrels to the frame when closed.

As the wear surfaces wear down the lever will naturally and slowly move toward the left but again, that alone is not an indication that anything is wrong.

Keith Doty 06-27-2020 08:39 PM

No looseness, gun closes like a bank vault, no play whatsoever closed and has basically no side "wiggle" in the hinge. I've just heard for years that this is a red flag and to be avoided on SxS guns. This gun obviously has seen a lot of use but good care.

Dean Romig 06-27-2020 08:45 PM

I wouldn't worry about it at all. But if it ever develops the tiniest bit of wiggle you should have the bolt replaced and dressed to mate with the mating surface on the lug. If it has the later "replaceable wear plate" that piece could/should be replaced at the same time.

But it ain't broke... and you know the rest.

Keith Doty 06-27-2020 08:57 PM

Good news, bad news. You have eased my mind but may distress my wallet! Thank you, Sir. I'm consistently impressed by the depth of good advice available here.

Brian Dudley 06-28-2020 08:37 AM

To put it simply. Lever position on a Parker means little. Not like with a Smith or Fox. If the gun is tight is all that matters.

Even with other makers where lever position is an indication of wear, people think that they need to run out and “fix” a gun that is a little to the left. If the gun is tight, leave it alone. It likely wont loosen up in their lifetime. But, whatever, if it makes you sleep better, temhn so be it.

I would be mildly interested in seeing a photo of the lever on the subject gun that the OP asks about.

Bill Murphy 06-28-2020 08:58 AM

Does the locking mechanism include the 1910 replaceable bolt plate? Most Parkers I have seen with levers to the left are the early guns made without the bolt plate.

Dean Romig 06-28-2020 09:45 AM

A great many Parkers that didn’t have the replaceable wear plate, that were sent back to the factory for any kind of work, were upgraded with this post-1910 feature, at no cost to the owner.

Keith Doty 06-28-2020 11:58 AM

IF (a big IF) the owner and I can agree on a price that's acceptable to me for a 12 ga with a fair amount of honest wear, I'll certainly post some pics. My opinion is he's a bit proud of the gun on today's market. I just had a quick look at it, no clue to any measurements on barrels, chokes, etc and he didn't seem to be a wealth of info. My impression was it was a gun that had been in the family for some time, not his until recently.

Dean Romig 06-28-2020 07:52 PM

Be careful.