Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   10 GA Parker Hammer Lifter Ser#20424 (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11790)

Barry Tufts 10-30-2013 11:34 AM

10 GA Parker Hammer Lifter Ser#20424

5 Attachment(s)
A friend of mine was left a high grade Parker in rough shape. 10 Ga. Ser. #20424.
Markings: "3" on barrel lug. "5" on flat part of barrel.
The gun has a good deal of rust. The bores seem fine. The action is flawless.
I was thinking of sending it to an expert in Parker restoration to see if it worth restoring. Can anyone suggest some options?
Thanks.

Mark Ouellette 10-30-2013 12:12 PM

Brad Bachelder in Grand Rapids Michigan for an authentic Parker restoration.

Mark

Eldon Goddard 10-30-2013 12:59 PM

That is something beautiful. I like the hammers on it. Makes me want a Parker hammer gun.

Dean Romig 10-30-2013 01:57 PM

Brad is good, there's no question about that.

Recommend you do a lot of homework first. There are a number of restoration experts who can bring that gun to it's former glory and each one uses slightly different methods and gets slightly different results. Take a close look at examples of all of their work and compare them with known original high-grade Parker Bros. hammerguns.... then decide.

Not trying to sway you but simply pointing out that there are options and for the money you're likely to spend on such a worthy project you need to go into it with both eyes open.

If you can't afford the prices you will be quoted... either leave it alone or sell it to someone who will do it justice.

David Dwyer 10-30-2013 02:46 PM

That is a stunning $250 or A grade Parker. That is some of the best engraving on a gun of that grade which I believe is the highest grade Parker made at the time. I will second the recommendation Of Brad Bachelder. His metal restoration is as close to original as I have ever seen. You have a treasure!
David

wayne goerres 10-30-2013 03:45 PM

That is a nice looking gun. You might want to consider just cleaning it up. You might be surprisrd.

David Holes 10-30-2013 04:13 PM

You might not consider just cleaning it up. That gun deserves something special. The forend wood interests me. Looks like a semi beavertail.

ed good 10-30-2013 05:28 PM

oh my! oh my! it is wonderful as it is! please, please do not molest it...

Frank Cronin 10-30-2013 06:24 PM

Before going into a full restoration with case colors and soup to nuts, I would ask Brad if he may be able to just clean up the metal to the frame / hammers, etc ... removing any remaining surface rust. Of course it all depends how deep the pits are. You may be looking at re-engraving to the breech balls. If a good cleanup is possible, I would keep the frame "as is" cleaned up and restore the Damascus barrels, and a light cleaning of the wood.

Congrats on a great Parker.

Carl Erickson Jr 10-30-2013 06:33 PM

Clean it up and SHOOT it. Looks great as is. If 10 gauge shells are to expensive , use inserts and use 12 gauge.