Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Lefever G Grade with ejectors (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24271)

Frank Srebro 05-17-2018 04:36 PM

Lefever G Grade with ejectors

3 Attachment(s)
So I've been looking for a good Lefever Damascus ejector gun for clays shooting and finally got one - a nice honest/all original 12-gauge G Grade gun with 30-inch tubes, excellent bores and choked F & F. To paraphrase what we sometimes say with Ansley Fox; she was "made when Uncle Dan was still walking the factory floors". I shot 50 birds with her last Sunday before we were rained out and she did pretty well. The factory chambers measure a scant 2-3/4" and I used factory 1-ounce shells albeit somewhat lighter loads. She was smoking the birds and today I opened both chokes "a tad" using the piloted tapered reamer I had made up for Foxes. Lefever guys and gals know that a parallel section running to the muzzle is a dead giveaway of an opened choke (same as with Fox guns both Phila and Utica). I want to keep them tapered, thus use of my reamer. Nice that the ejectors are perfectly timed and throw both hulls about 10-12 feet to land within inches of each other. Now one of my buds is after me to try qualifying for Lefever at the annual Fox - Lefever Challenge at the Northeast SxS (Hausmann's) next month. :nono:

frank

charlie cleveland 05-17-2018 05:39 PM

i too really like lefever guns you have found a nice one...charlie

chris dawe 05-17-2018 07:18 PM

Just picked up the sister of yours only with steel barrels ...Its no secret I love Lefevers ,but this new one shoots the lights out !

Daryl Corona 05-17-2018 07:24 PM

That really is a nice one Frank.

Frank Cronin 05-17-2018 08:24 PM

Congrats on finding a real nice honest G grade Frank.

Frank Srebro 05-17-2018 08:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had a couple of questions on my tapered choke reamer and here's a pic of it that's been posted on the Fox site in the past. It's something I came up with myself, not available commercially as far as I know. Reamer is inserted from the breech and the farther forward (toward the muzzle) it's run, the more open the choke. Same concept as done by Fox and other period makers. Of course I check often during the procedure for the desired choke constriction. The bronze pilot bushings are sized to the bore and the reamer cuts absolutely concentric. I made up umpteen bushings for 12-gauge in size increments from .720" diameter to .750" for Super-Foxes. The reamer and its drive rod will do barrels up to 36" long. I'm not in the business but will do this choking work for good friends as I have time.

frank

Rich Anderson 05-18-2018 07:33 AM

Nice find Frank, congrats.

Rich Anderson 05-18-2018 10:15 AM

They are definitely a quality and underappreciated maker. I have a 16 that I enjoy very much.

Mills Morrison 05-18-2018 10:16 AM

I recently bought an F grade 16 gauge project.

Harold Lee Pickens 05-18-2018 04:19 PM

Nice Frank, I have a sweet little 16 G grade damascus, I'll bring it to Ernies.