Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Website & Forum - Help & Assistance (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Help Identifying Markings (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40118)

jeffarnold 09-28-2023 02:04 PM

Help Identifying Markings

5 Attachment(s)
Hello all,
I hope you can help me identify more qualities of this shotgun. Here is what I have so far:
Date: 1900
Frame size: 1
Barrel weight: 3-12
Grade: 3 - D?
Barrel Steel: Titanic

I'm not sure what the D under the serial represents?
How can I determine the gauge? is there a code?
What is the stock wood?

Can you tell me anything else based on the pictures?

Many thanks,

Jeff

Dean Romig 09-28-2023 02:37 PM

It’s a 1 1/2 frame that someone has done “something” to the lug… probably something having to do with aftermarket ejectors?
Most likely a 12 based on the frame size.

The D beneath the serial number and the 3 above it indicathe the grade, a grade 3 or D grade.

Bill Murphy 09-28-2023 03:21 PM

Good catch, Dean. If the original poster would post pictures of the face of the breech and the sides of the barrel lugs as well as the back and inside front of the forend, we could tell you much more.

jeffarnold 09-28-2023 04:42 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hope these are the correct photos requested. Thanks for your help.

Dean Romig 09-28-2023 07:05 PM

Afternarker ejectors and forend wood have been installed.
I’d stay away from it.

edgarspencer 09-29-2023 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 395889)
It’s a 1 1/2 frame that someone has done “something” to the lug… probably something having to do with aftermarket ejectors?
Most likely a 12 based on the frame size.

The D beneath the serial number and the 3 above it indicathe the grade, a grade 3 or D grade.

The alteration to the "lug" is the addition of the replaceable wear plate, obliterating the '1/2' of the 1 1/2 frame size, and the last three digits of the sn on the rear of the lug.
The evidence of the aftermarket ejectors is the remaining screw from the extractor stop, the kickers in the fore end, and the lack of a 'stop plate' on the end off the dolls head. What turns me off about the gun is the recoil pad and the BTFE. The gun probably functions ok, so if the price is right, and it's what the OP wants, then go for it. Still, there are lots of better examples out there.

Dean Romig 09-29-2023 12:46 PM

I agree Edgar but Parker Bros never made such a poor installation of the replaceable wear plate.

edgarspencer 09-29-2023 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 395939)
I agree Edgar but Parker Bros never made such a poor installation of the replaceable wear plate.

True dat, but the rear "lug"s got nothing to do with the ejectors.

Dean Romig 09-29-2023 03:19 PM

Didn’t say it did. Look at the pic with the barrels and stock in the case to see the stop screw in the lug for an extractor gun and the slot under the doll’s head.

Oops… reading back, I see that I did make such a reference… mon faux pas.
Actually the pic below the one with the stock shows both the stop screw and the slot in the doll’s head.

Bill Murphy 09-29-2023 05:23 PM

Dean and Edgar will probably agree that the person performing work on this gun had no power tools, did most of his work with a hatchet and a cold chisel.