Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Shooting 12 gauge in a 10 gauge (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21933)

bob weeman 07-27-2017 12:23 PM

Shooting 12 gauge in a 10 gauge

Anyone here ever shot 12 gauge shells in a 10. I have heard a few stories of this being....with no inserts.....

Rick Losey 07-27-2017 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob weeman (Post 222268)
I have heard a few stories of this being....with no inserts.....

stories ?? from someone who still has all their fingers to type with??

:shock:

bob weeman 07-27-2017 02:28 PM

I am sure it would split the shell but think the pressure would be less since it is a bigger space??? I will ask Lefty if he still has all his fingers....

Paul Harm 07-27-2017 02:56 PM

I do all the time - with inserts. I would think the shells would go down in and make it hard for the firing pin to hit the primer hard enough, and then there would be a problem with extracting the shells. Who told you the " stories " ?

bob weeman 07-27-2017 03:11 PM

Local guy and read it somewhere while researching inserts....I will try a shell with primer only to see if they fire.....interesting subject to me but that shell bursting and flopping around in the chamber must have some I'll effects....

Dave Tatman 07-27-2017 05:18 PM

Ya think..... ?? :duck:

Rick Losey 07-27-2017 06:27 PM

a 12 gauge shell is going to barely catch on the rim of a 10 ga chamber

IF the firing pin is long enough to set it off - the explosion is going to slam that back into the breach face as it expands to fill the void left by the difference in diameter

so now a split and over stretched hull head is going to be jammed up between the extractor and breech face- i expect it will be difficult to open after that

firing just a primer will not prove any thing

please do not use a good gun-

IMHO - dangerous and foolish

i just hope this was a joke -

i have erased several comments about intelligence and seeing this on you tube :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Bill Murphy 07-27-2017 07:03 PM

I have done it, more than a few times. I have never had a misfire or a failure to extract. I am careful to lay the shell in the chamber and close the gun slowly or the shell, will, in fact, slip past the extractor's rim recess. However, once the gun is closed, the shell will not go anywhere.

John Campbell 07-27-2017 07:27 PM

I fail to see the benefit to mankind in this thread. But maybe I'm just too cautious. To me, it's kind of like asking:

"If I stick my hand in a bag of sleeping rattlesnakes, will I get bitten?"

Maybe...

Carvel Whaley 07-27-2017 09:10 PM

I have a lifter that I bought as a 12 ga. When I shoot it, the shells split about 25% of the time. I measured the chambers and barrels and It is, by measurement , an 11 ga. The Parker book lists it as a 12 ga., however by the serial number, it was built in the time frame when several 11 ga guns were made. In view of this, I don't see how a 12 ga shell shot in a 10 ga gun would not split. JMO. Carvel