Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Reproductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   A1 Repro or Runge Parker Upgrade? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25787)

Rich Anderson 11-25-2018 08:40 AM

The repro's are nice guns no doubt about that but the upgrade is still an original Parker. I have an upgraded AAHE 28 two barrel set that if it were original there would be no way I could afford it. If Chucks gun was a straight grip it would be mine. At the end of the day the upgrade is a real Parker made in America not a reproduction made in Japan.

Bill Murphy 11-25-2018 09:37 AM

I can just picture Senior and Bob Runge discussing the construction of this gun in the old shop in the basement of the Del Grego home. Senior and Runge both worked for Remington and Parker and are the same hands that built the originals. Patrick's comments about the wood are probably legitimate, but what is, is, and nothing can be done about it. I own a Runge SAA and a few other Del Grego refinished guns and value them like my originals. There is serious history in the Del Grego shop and the guns produced there.

Brian Dudley 11-25-2018 10:35 AM

In my opinion, the quality of the engraving on many of these later Runge upgrades is pretty flat-out poor. A lot of uneven and scrunched-together scroll work. The flow of the engraving is pretty much non-existent.

Russ Jackson 11-25-2018 02:25 PM

Hello Ken , Just my 2 Cents worth but I am also an owner of one of the DelGrego ,Runge Upgrades and Signed by Both ,it is a BHE 410 which started life as a VHE Grade Parker ! Years ago when I first started buying Parker Guns I sought after the 28Gauge and then the 410 ,I Loved the High Grade Guns and this gun came up for sale ,while looking through The Parker Story ,one will see the BH Grade 410 Guns are very minimal at best ! So with this said my opinion was ans is ,if you want to purchase a gun such as mine we can no longer order it and the likelihood of finding one is nil and if I could find one I could never afford it ! But this gun left the Parker Factory ,was purchased by one of our Finest Collectors and had the actual Folks which would have overseen this gun being built and the Actual Engraver which would have done it had it been an original High Grade Parker , these guns are as close to having a High Grade Small Bore as you can get with very few exceptions as there were so few actually built and sold , I don't think these guns and Repros are comparable !If you would like to see mine instead of me cluttering this Thread with Photos ,I have an album on my Home Page , all are welcome to take a look ! Again ,just my 2 Cents !

Ken Hill 11-25-2018 03:36 PM

Russ,

Thanks for the response. Your gun looks great!

Ken

John Dallas 11-25-2018 04:37 PM

Russ - For those of us who are somewhat digitally challenged, how can I locate your album?

Robin Lewis 11-25-2018 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Dallas (Post 258746)
Russ - For those of us who are somewhat digitally challenged, how can I locate your album?

On his post, click on "Brush Buster" and select "view public profile" in the dropdown. Then, on the left side of his profile see the section for "albums" and click on the BHE

Greg Baehman 11-25-2018 05:28 PM

It all depends upon what your definition of original is.

Most would agree that the definition of original is that the product is and remains as it left the factory.

Most would agree that to a true collector, originality trumps everything.

In the case of the subject Parker Bros. gun that was altered from the way it left the factory by upgrading it to an A-1 Special vs. a Parker Reproduction A-1 Special, that is in as it left the factory condition, it is then obvious that only one of these guns is original. Therefore, by being original, the Parker Reproduction A-1 Special will be the greater value -- today, tomorrow and for the long haul.

:duck:

John Dallas 11-25-2018 06:19 PM

Got it. Works for me if I click on his picture, but not if I click on Brush Buster. Nice gun
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'll always vote for an original, whether a gun, knife or car

Rich Anderson 11-26-2018 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Baehman (Post 258748)
. Therefore, by being original, the Parker Reproduction A-1 Special will be the greater value -- today, tomorrow and for the long haul.

:duck:

I disagree as the reproduction is just that, a copy of the original not the original. There nice guns but if I were to spend $15K on either a Repro A1 or the original upgraded gun in question my money is with the upgrade.