Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Roll Crimp (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30686)

CraigThompson 07-18-2020 02:41 PM

Roll Crimp

5 Attachment(s)
Tried roll crimping a few Remington 8 gauge hulls today . Never given this a go before . I only went 1 5/8 ounces shot with some 12 gauge cards in the bottom for spacers and Universal Clays . But after getting the number of cards correct I was satisfied with the results .

Craig Larter 07-18-2020 03:36 PM

Craig they look great, nice work.

charlie cleveland 07-19-2020 02:06 PM

your roll crimps look fine look as good as factory crimps...you should have a good dove load out of those shells....charlie

CraigThompson 07-19-2020 03:11 PM

Shot four of the roll crimp jobs trimming tree limbs . Three were ones I’d didn’t quite have the spacers correct and one was what I considered a good one . Let me just say 1 5/8 ounces of 7 1/2’s at about 5 yards does a very pleasing job of trimming tree limbs .

CraigThompson 07-19-2020 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie cleveland (Post 307454)
your roll crimps look fine look as good as factory crimps...you should have a good dove load out of those shells....charlie

Yes sir it would I believe . Just need to go somewhere there are Eurasian Banded Dove so I don’t get in any squabbles over game commission rules !

CraigThompson 07-19-2020 03:32 PM

Monday I’m going to see what I can do with 000000 buck and 730 grain .775” slugs in the Remington roll crimped hulls .

edgarspencer 07-19-2020 06:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I am also using Ballistic Products 8ga. roll crimper, and am having the same issues you're having. The design of their crimper is wrong in that the one bar, does not have a radius starter, so the outside of the rolled edge is a sharp 90, rather than a smooth nicely rolled edge. Also, part of the top edge is galled, like yours.
The first picture is some paper 12ga. shells I loaded up this morning, using a Bridgeport Gun Implement Co. four bar roller. It literally takes 5 turns of the handle to get a flawless roll every time. I wish I could fing and antique roller for 8 ga, but then I'm not planning on doing a mess of them. I would like to find something to replace my 16 and 20 gauge rollers, and bought one of the Russian rollers on ebay. Delivery was promised for September 16th. Geez, you'd think they were on the other side of the world or something.

CraigThompson 07-19-2020 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgarspencer (Post 307481)
I am also using Ballistic Products 8ga. roll crimper, and am having the same issues you're having. The design of their crimper is wrong in that the one bar, does not have a radius starter, so the outside of the rolled edge is a sharp 90, rather than a smooth nicely rolled edge. Also, part of the top edge is galled, like yours.
The first picture is some paper 12ga. shells I loaded up this morning, using a Bridgeport Gun Implement Co. four bar roller. It literally takes 5 turns of the handle to get a flawless roll every time. I wish I could fing and antique roller for 8 ga, but then I'm not planning on doing a mess of them. I would like to find something to replace my 16 and 20 gauge rollers, and bought one of the Russian rollers on ebay. Delivery was promised for September 16th. Geez, you'd think they were on the other side of the world or something.

Three times I’ve gotten slug molds from the Russian Federation on Ebay and NONE got to me faster than two weeks . “Usually” they don’t make the item until after you order it despite the Ebay auctions claiming they have x amount in stock . That company in the UK that has once fired WIN 8 gauge hulls might have an old style roll crimper . I forgot the name however .

charlie cleveland 07-19-2020 08:48 PM

I have the old style 8 ga crimper ...to me it does no better job than what your roll crimps look like here....charlie

edgarspencer 07-19-2020 09:05 PM

You’re a lucky man to find one of the old crimpers, Charlie.
The black Remington hulls are much thicker than other gauges, and thicker than Winchester 8ga. hulls, which take a roll better.

I love how the iPhone thinks I want to say crumpets when I type crimper.