Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   10 gauge on #2 frame ? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27676)

Milton C Starr 07-03-2019 05:07 PM

10 gauge on #2 frame ?

I just seen two 10 gauge parkers both on #2 frames listed for sale .
both are hammerless . The one gun is a tad over 7lbs probably the lightest 10 I have seen . How rare is it to see a 10 gauge parker on a #2 frame ?

Mills Morrison 07-03-2019 06:07 PM

I have two. Uncommon but not rare I would say

Milton C Starr 07-03-2019 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mills Morrison (Post 276817)
I have two. Uncommon but not rare I would say

Is there anyway to tell frame size on parkers 10 when the seller doesnt have it listed ?
I was looking at a 10 ga parker that was 10 3/4 lbs it seems heavier than most parker 10s I see which fall in the 9lb and some change weight .

scott kittredge 07-03-2019 06:54 PM

I have one too. It was my first 10 ga. From what i have found with most of the 2 frames 10 s is they were early hammerless guns. Remember the 1 st hammerless guns made were 12 ga. My guess they made 10 s on the early 12 ga frames to get some 10 ga guns out on the sales racks and to fill orders until they got the hammerless 3 frames made. ( thats my though on it ? ) My 10 is one of the 1 st 50 hammerless 10 s made. It's a eh 30 in. with Barrles choked .023 in both shoots 80% patterns weight is 8 3/4 lbs.
Scott

charlie cleveland 07-03-2019 07:01 PM

that 7 lb 10 ga would be rare on account of its light weight....that light weight would make a fine squirl gun....charlie

Milton C Starr 07-03-2019 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott kittredge (Post 276820)
I have one too. It was my first 10 ga. From what i have found with most of the 2 frames 10 s is they were early hammerless guns. Remember the 1 st hammerless guns made were 12 ga. My guess they made 10 s on the early 12 ga frames to get some 10 ga guns out on the sales racks and to fill orders until they got the hammerless 3 frames made. ( thats my though on it ? ) My 10 is one of the 1 st 50 hammerless 10 s made. It's a eh 30 in. with Barrles choked .023 in both shoots 80% patterns weight is 8 3/4 lbs.
Scott

I have heard of 10s being built on a #4 frame as well.
Is there anyway to tell the frames sizes apart just from looking?

Im going to be in the market for a parkers either a 10 or a 8ga in about 6 months and Im browsing all the different guns sites to see whats on the market .

I got a about 5 different guns I have my eye on .
The two 8 ga parkers I want to get the serial #s checked first to make sure they havnt had their barrels cut .

Have yall shot any of the RST 1 1/8oz loads in your #2 frame 10s ? I would think they would handle similar to a 12 ga just with longer barrels .

Milton C Starr 07-03-2019 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie cleveland (Post 276821)
that 7 lb 10 ga would be rare on account of its light weight....that light weight would make a fine squirl gun....charlie

It is the lightest 10 I have seen , there is another thats in the 8lb range that is marked as a wells fargo gun that was cut down to 25"

Charlie on the other end of the spectrum I just seen a spanish sxs 10 ga that was 14 1/2 lbs !

Dave Noreen 07-03-2019 08:17 PM

Anyone remember what the 1-frame 10-gauge weighed that was at Sandanona several of The Vintage Cup years there? A DH-Grade as I recall.

Milton C Starr 07-03-2019 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Noreen (Post 276826)
Anyone remember what the 1-frame 10-gauge weighed that was at Sandanona several of The Vintage Cup years there? A DH-Grade as I recall.

I will have to look into that sounds really interesting .
I once tried to get a sxs builder to make me a set of 8 gauge barrels for a 10 ga frame . He was totally against the idea , But I knew another gunsmith who used to bore out single barrel 10 gauges to 8 gauge and he proof tested them to about 22k psi .Using modern steel barrels of course .

This to me is what makes parkers the most interesting american sxs shotgun brand . All the different frame and gauge combinations they made .

I know some sxs makers today still offer bigger gauge to frames setups .
Like 16 ga on a 20 ga frame . wonder if anyone has built a 28 ga on a 410 frame ?

How rare are the tens that were built on the #6 frames ?

Bill Murphy 07-03-2019 08:45 PM

There are at least two 28 gauge Parkers built on the #000 .410 frame. They were displayed at a PGCA meeting at the Ohio Gun Collectors several years ago. They were originally sold at Baltimore a year or two earlier. Dave, I have a copy of the order for the #1 frame ten gauge, but don't recall if a weight was mentioned. The chamber walls on that gun made it the scariest Parker I have ever seen. My #2 frame 27" ten DH weighs 7 pounds 4 ounces. Tens on the #4 frame were all hammer guns in my experience. #6 frame hammerless tens are very scarce, but not unique by any means. I have one in fluid steel that was rebarreled at Parker Brothers when the original 8 gauge barrels were declared illegal for migratory birds.

Dean Romig 07-03-2019 09:18 PM

I bought a set of 30" Damascus 2-frame 10 gauge barrels that were made for a 2 frame. They are reverse choked with Full on the right barrel and Light Mod on the left. I am in the process of fitting them to my 2-frame 1898 DH which came with 30" F/F Titanic barrels. I also had Russ Bickel fit a set of Damascus 30" M/F barrels to this gun... and I also have a set of 26" 2-frame Titanic barrels that are very close and they will be the next set to be fitted to the gun. I don't even know why I'm doing it, besides the fact that it's fun!

Milton C Starr 07-03-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 276830)
There are at least two 28 gauge Parkers built on the #000 .410 frame. They were displayed at a PGCA meeting at the Ohio Gun Collectors several years ago. They were originally sold at Baltimore a year or two earlier. Dave, I have a copy of the order for the #1 frame ten gauge, but don't recall if a weight was mentioned. The chamber walls on that gun made it the scariest Parker I have ever seen. My #2 frame 27" ten DH weighs 7 pounds 4 ounces. Tens on the #4 frame were all hammer guns in my experience. #6 frame hammerless tens are very scarce, but not unique by any means. I have one in fluid steel that was rebarreled at Parker Brothers when the original 8 gauge barrels were declared illegal for migratory birds.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but how much would a 10 ga on a #6 frame go for ?
this is the 10lb 3/4 10 gauge I was talking about http://puglisiguns.cloudapp.net/inventory/Ant38175

I was thinking maybe its a #4 frame but I guess that barrel weights different from gun to gun and this could just be a heavy barrel #3 ?

the 10 ga #6 frame I seen on here I swore was a hammer gun ?
I would think with modern steel you could safely build a 10 ga on such a small frame ? like the #1 you mentioned . I know nothing about how fluid steel from that era compares to whats used these days .

Im going to be in the price range of around 5,000$ when I get ready to buy my next sxs and im looking at 10s and 3 8 gauges I found for sale .
If its a 10 I would like to find one thats different like the ones built on larger frames or longer barrels if I can find one in that 5k price range .
I want to get my first parkers but If i find a long barrel 8 gauge double than I will end up with that . Which I have recently found one 36" tubes for 5100$ .
I love 32" barrels on my 10s but my dream gun is a 36" sxs 8 gauge .

Also Ive read that parker made a #5 and #7 frame size what are these guns ? I tried to google them but couldnt find anything .

Milton C Starr 07-03-2019 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 276835)
I bought a set of 30" Damascus 2-frame 10 gauge barrels that were made for a 2 frame. They are reverse choked with Full on the right barrel and Light Mod on the left. I am in the process of fitting them to my 2-frame 1898 DH which came with 30" F/F Titanic barrels. I also had Russ Bickel fit a set of Damascus 30" M/F barrels to this gun... and I also have a set of 26" 2-frame Titanic barrels that are very close and they will be the next set to be fitted to the gun. I don't even know why I'm doing it, besides the fact that it's fun!

I would love to see a #2 barrel 10 ga compared to a #3 10 gauge barrel set .
I would think that the biggest difference would they would perhaps be more meat or less taper to the barrels for more strength ?

Dean Romig 07-03-2019 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milton C Starr (Post 276839)
I would love to see a #2 barrel 10 ga compared to a #3 10 gauge barrel set .
I would think that the biggest difference would they would perhaps be more meat or less taper to the barrels for more strength ?

It is a heavy set of barrels... heck, the gun is way out of balance with them but it really doesn't matter in a turkey blind or goose pit.

Milton C Starr 07-03-2019 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 276840)
It is a heavy set of barrels... heck, the gun is way out of balance with them but it really doesn't matter in a turkey blind or goose pit.

Sounds like the bonehill 10 ga I had the barrels on it were massive and the muzzles had alot of meat in them. I stumbled across two identical bonehills today and the temptation to get one later on is too great . From what I have gathered usually when you see a 10 gauge thats over 10lbs they seem to have meatier barrels than the 9lb guns .

Milton C Starr 07-03-2019 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 276840)

You just reminded me , there is a ithaca flues in 10 gauge listed right now @ 11lbs ! Im trying to think where those extra 2 lbs are from because the other flues I see are 9lbs

Brian Dudley 07-03-2019 09:48 PM

An upland 10 would be a 2 frame 10 with 26 or 28” barrels.

Milton C Starr 07-03-2019 10:01 PM

Heres one of the #2 10s
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/810283982

that one is 32"
and this #2 10 has 28" someone cut
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/818058712

Milton C Starr 07-03-2019 11:47 PM

Does anyone know if any 8 gauges were built on a #3 frame ?
I was thinking if a 10ga and be built on a 12 ga frame then a 8 could have been built on a 10 frame ?

does anyone know the barrel diameter at the face of the 8 gauges and 10s ?

CraigThompson 07-04-2019 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milton C Starr (Post 276845)
Heres one of the #2 10s
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/810283982

that one is 32"
and this #2 10 has 28" someone cut
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/818058712

Those two have been on GB for about five years now . I got an EH 2 frame with factory original 28” barrels at an auction little over a year ago in decent shape for a lot less then the 28” cut barrel gun you posted the link to . And yes the 28” gun I have is a bit open it’s not difficult to shoot 98% with it on the skeet field shooting the mild 1 1/8 ounce of shot and 18.6 grains Red Dot load .

Milton C Starr 07-04-2019 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigThompson (Post 276851)
Those two have been on GB for about five years now . I got an EH 2 frame with factory original 28” barrels at an auction little over a year ago in decent shape for a lot less then the 28” cut barrel gun you posted the link to . And yes the 28” gun is a bit open it’s not difficult to shoot 98% with it on the skeet field shooting the mild 1 1/8 ounce 18.6 grains Red Dot load .

Yeah I clearly also remember that bonehill he's selling has been up for 5yrs also . Maybe he has all his 10 bores priced too high ? I've noticed pugs has some parker listed that's been up for about 5yrs also though .
Personally I'd probably never buy a cut down gun unless it's a super rare one . I priced the cost of sleeving cut barrels to bring them back to their original length .
Think the price I seen was close to 5,000$ .

CraigThompson 07-04-2019 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milton C Starr (Post 276819)
Is there anyway to tell frame size on parkers 10 when the seller doesnt have it listed ?

It’s simple send them
a message or call them and ask what the number stamped on the bottom of the barrel lug is ! And if they don’t wanna tell you then they don’t wanna sell very bad !

CraigThompson 07-04-2019 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milton C Starr (Post 276852)
Yeah I clearly also remember that bonehill he's selling has been up for 5yrs also . Maybe he has all his 10 bores priced too high ?

IMHO he has everything he’s got priced high . But if it’s high you can always make an offer worst he can do is say no .

Milton C Starr 07-04-2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigThompson (Post 276854)
IMHO he has everything he’s got priced high . But if it’s high you can always make an offer worst he can do is say no .

Just makes me cautious when a gun like that is listed is "mirror bores" Griffin and howe have the same model bonehill but in with more of the original finish . The gb sale comes with a reproduction case I wonder how much a case like that is ? I would think maybe 200-300$?

I if I wasn't planning on buying my first parkers is probably grab one of the bonehills. I miss mine and would love to have one in good condition . Now if I could find a bonehill in 8ga I would be head over hills .

Milton C Starr 07-04-2019 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigThompson (Post 276853)
It’s simple send them
a message or call them and ask what the number stamped on the bottom of the barrel lug is ! And if they don’t wanna tell you then they don’t wanna sell very bad !

I wasn't interested in that particular parkers not a fan of the grip on that one but just noticed it was 1lb heavier than all the other #3 frames 10s listed.

Bill Murphy 07-04-2019 01:20 PM

You had best slow down with your check writing. The gunbroker guns are not good guns, regardless of price. Next, be aware that the barrel width of an eight or a ten is determined by frame size. Each frame size is different and width of each frame size is the same if the frame size is the same. All dimensions of frames are in a chart in The Parker Story. I have never seen a #3 frame eight gauge, nor have I seen a #6 frame hammer gun. I have seen a #5 frame hammer gun but it was very early and an oddball. You can tell whether such a thing is possible by measuring the base of the eight gauge shell and knowing the width of a #3 frame gun. Will two of the shells fit with room in the middle? There is your answer about the possibility of such an animal.

Milton C Starr 07-04-2019 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 276870)
You had best slow down with your check writing. The gunbroker guns are not good guns, regardless of price. Next, be aware that the barrel width of an eight or a ten is determined by frame size. Each frame size is different and width of each frame size is the same if the frame size is the same. All dimensions of frames are in a chart in The Parker Story. I have never seen a #3 frame eight gauge, nor have I seen a #6 frame hammer gun. I have seen a #5 frame hammer gun but it was very early and an oddball. You can tell whether such a thing is possible by measuring the base of the eight gauge shell and knowing the width of a #3 frame gun. Will two of the shells fit with room in the middle? There is your answer about the possibility of such an animal.

Oh im not writing any checks soon im just browsing the market to see whats available . I can pm the serial # for the #6 8 gauge hammer gun I am looking at .
I was just wondering how big of a 10 gauge frame a #3 was . I have seen some of the spanish sxs 10s bored to 8 and some of the old h&r 10s bored to 8 gauge which i believe had around a 1.250 barrel diameter at the breach is why I was asking what the barrel diameter was for the 10 ga barrels on the #3s .These are pretty straight barrels however and not really tapered much at all like you see on a nice sxs .

I was just thinking if parker had the barrels materials we have today then they probably could have built a 8 gauge on a #3 frame unless the barrels are less than 1.250 or 1.350"

So the #4 frame would be considered a heavy 10 ga ?

I just been trying to find info on all the different frames parker built 10 gauges on . I cant find any pictures of a 10 on the #4 , #5 , and #7 frame sizes .

Milton C Starr 07-04-2019 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I didnt mean to say it was a good idea or anything like that just I have seen done before .

Bill Murphy 07-08-2019 05:35 PM

You are misunderstanding me. A #3 frame is the same size no matter what gauge it is. The barrel diameter at the breech is the same for a ten or an eight, assuming the frame size is the same. Check the chart in TPS. Stand two shells side by side, base down, and measure. That will answer most, if not all, of your questions. To answer your question about the #4 frame ten and whether it is considered heavy, consider this. A #2, #3, #4, or a #6 frame ten is usually heavy, some heavier than others. Our members own #6 frame tens and will probably share their weights with you.

Milton C Starr 07-08-2019 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 277096)
You are misunderstanding me. A #3 frame is the same size no matter what gauge it is. The barrel diameter at the breech is the same for a ten or an eight, assuming the frame size is the same. Check the chart in TPS. Stand two shells side by side, base down, and measure. That will answer most, if not all, of your questions. To answer your question about the #4 frame ten and whether it is considered heavy, consider this. A #2, #3, #4, or a #6 frame ten is usually heavy, some heavier than others. Our members own #6 frame tens and will probably share their weights with you.

Sorry if I was getting confused, what I was trying to say for example if you built a 12 ga on say a #3 it would have thicker walls than a 10 ga since on the #3 frame size . Like a 16 gauge if built on a #3 frame would have even thicker chamber walls . I was asking if the #3 frame if fitted with 8 ga barrels would the chamber walls be too thin ?
I was just thinking of the soanish 10 bores some have bored to 8 gauge . They have plenty of chamber thickness but you run into barrel wall thinness. I was just wondering parker frame is large like the later 10 ga magnum frames . I read ithaca beefed up their nid frame when clambering for the 10 ga 3.5 . I have seen 12s built on 16 frame sizes and 16s built on 20ga frame sizes. I was thinking it would be possible to do the same with a 8 ga on a 10 frame . Just hypothetical speaking here . I was wondering if parker ever done it . I was thinking the #3 could be considered a small frame 10 ga frame compared to other sxs 10 gauges .

Brian Dudley 07-09-2019 09:12 AM

The standard hammerless frame size (and the only one I have ever seen) for an 8g was the 6 frame. That is a big difference from 3 to 6. As Bill stated, it is pretty much a physical impossibility for an 8g to be built on a 3 frame. Parker did build some super heavy 10s on the 6 frame.

The 4 frame is more of a hammer gun frame size, 7 as well. Come to think of it... was a 5 frame ever made in any configuration? I have never heard of it.

Milton C Starr 07-09-2019 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Dudley (Post 277107)
The standard hammerless frame size (and the only one I have ever seen) for an 8g was the 6 frame. That is a big difference from 3 to 6. As Bill stated, it is pretty much a physical impossibility for an 8g to be built on a 3 frame. Parker did build some super heavy 10s on the 6 frame.

The 4 frame is more of a hammer gun frame size, 7 as well. Come to think of it... was a 5 frame ever made in any configuration? I have never heard of it.

It's listed on the pgca page about frame sizes so is a 10 ga on a #7 . But couldn't do d amything on such a beast
I guess what I was asking is for a 10 ga frame how big does the #3 compare in size to things like the mid magnums or silver hawks. I've read those are big hefty guns . I think there is a #4 for sale right now it's a 10 ga hammer gun at almost 11lbs . Did parker offer did barrel weights ? Most of their #3s seem to all be in the 9lb range . Also I look at ithaca flues time to time and they seem to be in the 9lb range also but seen one for sale at 11lbs ! So I'm wondering if back I. Those days if ordering heavier barrels was a option or maybe just a larger variance in the barrels made from gun to gun ?

Milton C Starr 07-09-2019 11:32 AM

Sorry for the spelling errors im on a 2000 mile road trip over the next 2 days and some of these interstates feel like riding a horse haha . I meant to say #5 is a frame listed on the pgca frame size page .

Bill Murphy 07-09-2019 01:15 PM

I have seen #5 frame hammer guns, but they were very early and very scarce. If a Parker is ordered at a certain weight, the work room would determine what frame is used. Sometimes, a smaller frame is selected and the weight is determined by the barrel weight. Sometimes, a heavier frame is selected and the selected weight is finished by using lighter barrels or stock. An example is the 1/2 frame. They are finished up at weights from 6 1/4 pounds to 8 1/4 pounds.

Bill Murphy 07-09-2019 01:21 PM

The chart of frame sizes on this website has been updated from the original chart from The Parker Story because of input from posters on our forum. The only frame-gauge combination I am aware of that is not listed on this site is the #2 frame 16 gauge, another observed but rare combination. Good work on the part of our webmaster.

Dean Romig 07-09-2019 01:43 PM

Bill, nearly all the later information on those pages has been an ongoing project of Robin Lewis. He has updated all the FAQs and a great deal of other information on the links at the left of the HOME page.

Thank You Robin!

Mills Morrison 07-09-2019 02:37 PM

Robin is one of the great unsung heroes behind the PGCA.

I have been looking for a 5 frame. I have 2 4's

Jeff Christie 07-09-2019 05:30 PM

What is a "bonehill?" A pile of old abandoned barrels?

Mike McKinney 07-09-2019 06:31 PM

Milton, We hope you got enough benefit of being a member of the PGCA to re-up. We think it’s a great value and I wouldn’t be surprised that you find ao gun on the forum that you can’t live without.

Milton C Starr 07-09-2019 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike McKinney (Post 277146)
Milton, We hope you got enough benefit of being a member of the PGCA to re-up. We think it’s a great value and I wouldn’t be surprised that you find ao gun on the forum that you can’t live without.

Oh I plan to get a annual membership as soon as I find my first parkers . I love the history here and the stories about vintage doubles . Im a young fellow at 26 but i love researching all the different sxs from that era especially parkers .

The gun In question I was wondering if it was a #4 is this one http://puglisiguns.cloudapp.net/inventory/Ant38175