Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   10 gauge on #2 frame ? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27676)

Brian Dudley 07-09-2019 09:12 AM

The standard hammerless frame size (and the only one I have ever seen) for an 8g was the 6 frame. That is a big difference from 3 to 6. As Bill stated, it is pretty much a physical impossibility for an 8g to be built on a 3 frame. Parker did build some super heavy 10s on the 6 frame.

The 4 frame is more of a hammer gun frame size, 7 as well. Come to think of it... was a 5 frame ever made in any configuration? I have never heard of it.

Milton C Starr 07-09-2019 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Dudley (Post 277107)
The standard hammerless frame size (and the only one I have ever seen) for an 8g was the 6 frame. That is a big difference from 3 to 6. As Bill stated, it is pretty much a physical impossibility for an 8g to be built on a 3 frame. Parker did build some super heavy 10s on the 6 frame.

The 4 frame is more of a hammer gun frame size, 7 as well. Come to think of it... was a 5 frame ever made in any configuration? I have never heard of it.

It's listed on the pgca page about frame sizes so is a 10 ga on a #7 . But couldn't do d amything on such a beast
I guess what I was asking is for a 10 ga frame how big does the #3 compare in size to things like the mid magnums or silver hawks. I've read those are big hefty guns . I think there is a #4 for sale right now it's a 10 ga hammer gun at almost 11lbs . Did parker offer did barrel weights ? Most of their #3s seem to all be in the 9lb range . Also I look at ithaca flues time to time and they seem to be in the 9lb range also but seen one for sale at 11lbs ! So I'm wondering if back I. Those days if ordering heavier barrels was a option or maybe just a larger variance in the barrels made from gun to gun ?

Milton C Starr 07-09-2019 11:32 AM

Sorry for the spelling errors im on a 2000 mile road trip over the next 2 days and some of these interstates feel like riding a horse haha . I meant to say #5 is a frame listed on the pgca frame size page .

Bill Murphy 07-09-2019 01:15 PM

I have seen #5 frame hammer guns, but they were very early and very scarce. If a Parker is ordered at a certain weight, the work room would determine what frame is used. Sometimes, a smaller frame is selected and the weight is determined by the barrel weight. Sometimes, a heavier frame is selected and the selected weight is finished by using lighter barrels or stock. An example is the 1/2 frame. They are finished up at weights from 6 1/4 pounds to 8 1/4 pounds.

Bill Murphy 07-09-2019 01:21 PM

The chart of frame sizes on this website has been updated from the original chart from The Parker Story because of input from posters on our forum. The only frame-gauge combination I am aware of that is not listed on this site is the #2 frame 16 gauge, another observed but rare combination. Good work on the part of our webmaster.

Dean Romig 07-09-2019 01:43 PM

Bill, nearly all the later information on those pages has been an ongoing project of Robin Lewis. He has updated all the FAQs and a great deal of other information on the links at the left of the HOME page.

Thank You Robin!

Mills Morrison 07-09-2019 02:37 PM

Robin is one of the great unsung heroes behind the PGCA.

I have been looking for a 5 frame. I have 2 4's

Jeff Christie 07-09-2019 05:30 PM

What is a "bonehill?" A pile of old abandoned barrels?

Mike McKinney 07-09-2019 06:31 PM

Milton, We hope you got enough benefit of being a member of the PGCA to re-up. We think it’s a great value and I wouldn’t be surprised that you find ao gun on the forum that you can’t live without.

Milton C Starr 07-09-2019 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike McKinney (Post 277146)
Milton, We hope you got enough benefit of being a member of the PGCA to re-up. We think it’s a great value and I wouldn’t be surprised that you find ao gun on the forum that you can’t live without.

Oh I plan to get a annual membership as soon as I find my first parkers . I love the history here and the stories about vintage doubles . Im a young fellow at 26 but i love researching all the different sxs from that era especially parkers .

The gun In question I was wondering if it was a #4 is this one http://puglisiguns.cloudapp.net/inventory/Ant38175