Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Reproductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Need advice and info on 28ga Repro mods (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1362)

Marvin Kells 02-05-2010 09:41 AM

Need advice and info on 28ga Repro mods

I have a 28ga repro two barrel set (SG/DT/BTFE) and I'm seriously considering opening up the chokes. I have been reluctant to do so for fear of affecting the gun's value, but find I have no use for a 28" M/F barrel (IM/XXF in reality).

I have no intention of ever selling the gun, so opening the 26" barrels to Q1/Q2 and the 28" to IC/M seems like a good alternative that would allow me to fully utilize both barrels of the set. I hunt infrequently, but shoot a lot of clay targets (skeet, sporting clays, and five stand).

Am I on track here, or should I continue to ignore this impulse and stick to shooting the 26" barrel only?

If I do decide to go for it, any recommendations on who could best do the work? I live in the Atlanta, GA area.

Any and all comments and suggestions are welcomed!

Dean Romig 02-05-2010 10:04 AM

It's your gun Marvin. If the future value of the gun is inconsequential to you then go for it. I do quite well with my 26" imp/mod barrels at both skeet and hunting and have never wished for a set of mod/full barrels. Sounds like a winning combination to me.
The best man for chokes is Mike Orlen and he lives in Amherst Ma. I don't have his contact info with me at the moment but someone will post it here for certain.

Greg Baehman 02-05-2010 01:01 PM

Here's another possibilty Marvin...how about just ordering an additional new 28" bbl. set from CSMC and have that set choked to suit you. Then you'd never have to be concerned about altering the originality of your gun. Who knows---maybe we still worry after we're dead.:eek:

Larry Frey 02-05-2010 01:04 PM

Mike Orlen
79 Salem Street
Amherst, MA. 01002
(413) 253-5665

Marvin Kells 02-05-2010 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Baehman (Post 12706)
Here's another possibilty Marvin...how about just ordering an additional new 28" bbl. set from CSMC and have that set choked to suit you. Then you'd never have to be concerned about altering the originality of your gun. Who knows---maybe we still worry after we're dead.:eek:

Greg,

I like that idea, except for the $$$ part. :) The CSMC website, however, indicates 28 ga barrels are available only for "0" frame sizes. Only .410 barrels are available for the "00" frame. Let me know if this is incorrect, or if I'm missing something.

Joe Bernfeld 02-05-2010 03:35 PM

Marvin, do it! That gun should have been available in a 26" Q1/Q2, 28" IC/Mod combination originally. If it were me, I'd pay as much (or more) for one that was rechoked to that configuration, as an original one with the too-tight chokes.
Joe

E Robert Fabian 02-05-2010 03:49 PM

I agree with Joe, By the time you are interested in selling it the gun will be in well used condition [ not collector condition] and some one will jump on finding a Twenty Eight ga. with those choke selections. That said I really don't care what my skeet gun is choked after shooting a friends 410 over and under choked full and full with a 1/2 oz. of shot and shooting one of the best rounds of my life.

Greg Baehman 02-05-2010 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin Kells (Post 12714)
Greg,

I like that idea, except for the $$$ part. :) The CSMC website, however, indicates 28 ga barrels are available only for "0" frame sizes. Only .410 barrels are available for the "00" frame. Let me know if this is incorrect, or if I'm missing something.

It appears you're right Marvin, my mistake; IMHO I believe CSMC is missing the boat by not offering a 00-frame set of 28" or 30" bbls. Have you shot your M/F set of bbls. at 5-stand? I shoot our club's 5-stand set up with the 28" M/F pair of bbls. of my 28-ga. Parker Repro 2-bbl. set and seem to score as well with them as I do with any other gun.

You know how anal most Parker owners are with their Parkers and what they'll probably say should you have the chokes altered--"some yahoo went and opened the chokes and destroyed its originality and therefore its value!"

That's a scarce configured gun you have, I'd recommend you leave them original as is, or better yet...sell or trade that gun to me!

Rich Anderson 02-05-2010 05:40 PM

My 28ga has 28 inch bbls choked skeet in/skeet out and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Chuck Heald 02-05-2010 08:42 PM

If you really don't care about the resale value and want the most utility from your 28" set, put some Briley choke tubes in it and be done with it. You'll be able to have any choke from cylinder to full.

There! I've said it! ....He did say he had no intention of ever selling it.

Me? I'd leave them as is and learn to puff those targets with it. I have a BSS 20g with F/M that I have shot great skeet with, won a buckle for small gauge sporting clays, and hunted pen raised chukar and pheasant as well as wild SoDak pheasant with successfully. I've never wanted to open the chokes since that first round of skeet I shot with it when I ran the field...and trust me, I'm no competitive clay shooter.