Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   PRIMER PUNCTURED BY FIRING PIN (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24266)

Christian Gish 05-16-2018 11:10 PM

PRIMER PUNCTURED BY FIRING PIN

In the last lot of Win 209 primers I've had several primers punctured by the firing pin on 2 different guns. I've used Win 209 primers for 40 years and haven't had the problem before. Do you think they changed to thinner brass on the primers?

Anyone else having this happen?

Paul Harm 05-17-2018 08:49 AM

I use Cheddites and people have complained about the same thing. I have only one gun that pierces the primers, and that's with only the right barrel. Win might have changed primer material or thickness, but this is the first I've heard of it with Win primers. I go on three different forums every day and one is just reloading. No one else has commented about this problem.

Tom Carter 05-17-2018 11:06 AM

Primers

I recently had a number of primer punctures will RST 16 gauge shells. I think it is caused by thin primer metal. Tom

Dean Romig 05-17-2018 11:39 AM

I too have had pierced primers with cheddites/RST's but only with a couple of my hammer guns - never with a Parker hammerless.

Paul Harm 05-17-2018 12:31 PM

Yes, my Parker hammer gun also.

Harold Lee Pickens 05-17-2018 12:31 PM

I get pierced primers occasionally also--and come to think of it, seems to be with hammer guns and my reloads. I use W209 and cheddite primers interchangably, so dont recall if it was more with one or the other. I thought that perhaps I occ. didnt get the primer seated deep enough. Does this cause a problem/danger?

Dean Romig 05-17-2018 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gas escaping through the firing pin port in the breech face can cause enough pressure to blow chunks out of your stock head.

W&C Scott's Patented Gas Check System was apparently invented for just this problem.

Illustrated is a Grade 6 which had this done to it by a Cleveland, Ohio gunsmith early in the last century.

Rick Losey 05-17-2018 12:42 PM

Interesting

I recently had new swivel/links made for a hammergun's locks - non Parker

The first two shots after the repair -with 12ga factory RSTs - had pierced primers.

I cannot see how that repair could have altered the impact - maybe chedditte primers have actually gotten thinner recently - although I fired the rest of that box from a Fox with no issues

Dean Romig 05-17-2018 12:55 PM

Illustration just posted to my previous post.

Christian Gish 05-17-2018 11:35 PM

In the original post, I was shooting a Parker hammerless 12ga GH. The escaping gas blew a chip off the top of the stock starting at the breech and extending about 2 inches back along the top tang.

I was shooting alone on 16yd. station one. I was lucky to find the chip on the far side of station 3 at the 20 yd. line.