Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wrong Checkering Pattern ? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25435)

JeffreyThompson 10-11-2018 10:20 AM

Wrong Checkering Pattern ?

I recently purchased a 12ga GH damascus with 26 in barrels at a local gunshop. The checkering is worn smooth but is still visable. The woodgrade and stock serial number (100XXX) are correct for the G. The gripcap is the old style, plain with the center oval raised and checkered. When I looked at the checkering pattern, the pattern was wrong ! The pistolgrip pattern looks more like a V grade with more coverage down to the pg cap and the forend checkering has the 2 diamond patterns but narrower in coverage and there is no uncheckered border around the release latch. It does not appear that it was recheckered. Could someone have requested the change in pattern ? I havent requested a letter on it as yet. Any thoughts ?

Rick Losey 10-11-2018 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffreyThompson (Post 255781)
Any thoughts ?

i think a picture would help :)

Brian Dudley 10-11-2018 11:00 AM

Yeah. Hard to tell without photos.

But you seem to accurately describe typical V/P checkering.

I cannot imagine it would have been done on special request since there is really no point and the average person would not have really known the difference ahead of time.

IF it is original and untouched, i would just call it a factory error.

JeffreyThompson 10-11-2018 10:05 PM

pictures of the checkering

2 Attachment(s)
PicturesAttachment 66399

Attachment 66400

Brian Dudley 10-11-2018 10:33 PM

Checkering looks original to me.

JeffreyThompson 10-11-2018 11:00 PM

Factory mistake ?

Do you think it might be reflected in a letter ? It appears that there is info available on the serial number . I might have it checked out. Thanks for the input.

Brian Dudley 10-11-2018 11:40 PM

By all means, order a letter and support the organization, but I do not expect that there will be any info on the checkering in it.

Russ Jackson 10-12-2018 12:33 AM

In the first post he said this is a G Grade ,the forend checkering is not a G Grade pattern for sure ,the stock appears alright to me ,although quite worn ???

Dean Romig 10-12-2018 12:43 AM

The “bow tie” or “two point” forend checkering pattern is that of a Grade 1 or Grade 0. Grade 2 guns had the “three point” checkering pattern.

That said, where’s the mullered borders on the wrist checkering?....not to mention that it also should be a three point pattern at the head of the checkering.

Something’s fishy here........

Russ Jackson 10-12-2018 01:05 AM

Don't you think the borders are just wore off Dean ,that is what I was thinking but the forend for sure is fishy ! In my Opinion !