Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Powder Measurement with a MEC (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40862)

Brett Farley 01-06-2024 09:17 PM

Powder Measurement with a MEC

Quick question. I reloaded some 12 ga. target loads utilizing an Alliant powder published recipe with Red Dot. I cross referenced the MEC bushing chart on which bushing to use for the correct grains. I checked each of the first several shells utilizing a properly zeroed beam scale and each powder charge measured almost two grains lower than what it should have been. Do ya’ll find that you have to increase the size of your bushings to get a proper throw of powder? I had to increase the bushing size by three (30 - 33) to get close to the correct grains of powder thrown. Thanx

Daniel Carter 01-06-2024 09:22 PM

That is common with the MEC chart. I find the same 1 to 2 bushings larger. Some powders and some lots are are + or -.

Jerry Harlow 01-06-2024 09:24 PM

Brett,
I find the charts to be short on both powder and shot charges. Either use an adjustable bar or change bushings. Shot bars may show 1 1/8 ounces but drop 1 1/16 ounces. Powder is almost always short, but a powder baffle helps make whatever it is consistent for me. They make them short for law suit reasons is what I believe.

Randy G Roberts 01-06-2024 10:09 PM

Brett like you I always get the scale out and weigh several powder drops before I start loading a new recipe. I think the charts get you close but more times than not it's not the exact bushing for any given recipe in my experience also.

Randy G Roberts 01-06-2024 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Harlow (Post 402612)
Brett,
I find the charts to be short on both powder and shot charges. Either use an adjustable bar or change bushings. Shot bars may show 1 1/8 ounces but drop 1 1/16 ounces. Powder is almost always short, but a powder baffle helps make whatever it is consistent for me. They make them short for law suit reasons is what I believe.

Jerry I've never used a baffle. Do you believe they yield more consistent drops?

Bill Jolliff 01-06-2024 11:59 PM

Brett,

I have also found that a powder bushing I use on a MEC single stage loader, Sizemaster specifically, will drop a little lighter on my MEC progressive 8567 Grabber.

Brett Farley 01-07-2024 06:37 AM

All,
Thanks for the follow up. Very helpful. Lesson learned is to weigh your powder drop and adjust accordingly. I just got some additional bushings so I’ll have the ability to adjust to get the proper weight/grains of powder. I have not weighed my shot drop but will do that as well. Thanks again!

Daryl Corona 01-07-2024 09:14 AM

I also use baffles on all my MEC 9000's and found them to give a consistent drop. The bushings drove me crazy so I went with the adjustable charge bars. I know a lot of people don't like them but once you learn how to use them you'll ask yourself why MEC didn't supply them from the start.

Milt Fitterman 01-07-2024 09:41 AM

As you use the MEC 9000 the compression of the powder caused by the vibration of using it seems to cause an increase of the weight of the drop. After running about ten loads, check your weights again.

Daryl Corona 01-07-2024 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milt Fitterman (Post 402637)
As you use the MEC 9000 the compression of the powder caused by the vibration of using it seems to cause an increase of the weight of the drop. After running about ten loads, check your weights again.

Thanks for proving the point on using baffles Milt.

Jack Kuzepski 01-07-2024 07:06 PM

My presses are only 600 jr's but I found that the baffles do make for more consistant powder drops from both MEC bars and adjustable bars

Bill Murphy 01-08-2024 09:47 AM

Are we referring to the metal baffles at the bottom of the reservoir? I have never seen a powder tube that doesn't have one of those installed.

Carl G. Bachhuber 01-11-2024 05:41 PM

Over the years I have collected a lot of MEC bushings. If I can't find one that gives the weight I want I hone+polish until I get what I want. To establish weight I run the loader as I would use it so it sees all the banging about it would normally get and I run 5-10 shell strings. Also I have found that the MEC baffle gives less variation in weights with some powders, but not all. You will just have to try it with your load and see what gives the best results. With some powders I can get maximum deviations of .2 gr, with others it can be as bad as .8 gr.
C.G.B.

Jerry Harlow 01-11-2024 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy G Roberts (Post 402617)
Jerry I've never used a baffle. Do you believe they yield more consistent drops?

Randy,

Yes, I do. The powder baffle is has a plastic end and does away with the rubber grommet.

Jerry Harlow 01-11-2024 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 402718)
Are we referring to the metal baffles at the bottom of the reservoir? I have never seen a powder tube that doesn't have one of those installed.

Here is one.

CraigThompson 01-11-2024 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 402718)

PW tubes and MEC bottles are not one in the same . PW always put a baffle in both tubes when they were straight . Now that PW has gone to a more bottle looking thing I dunno if they still have baffles .

CraigThompson 01-11-2024 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl G. Bachhuber (Post 402971)
Over the years I have collected a lot of MEC bushings. If I can't find one that gives the weight I want I hone+polish until I get what I want. To establish weight I run the loader as I would use it so it sees all the banging about it would normally get and I run 5-10 shell strings. Also I have found that the MEC baffle gives less variation in weights with some powders, but not all. You will just have to try it with your load and see what gives the best results. With some powders I can get maximum deviations of .2 gr, with others it can be as bad as .8 gr.
C.G.B.

When I first started loading shotgun shells about forty years ago I was using PW loaders exclusively . I had a pile of PW powder and shot bushings and back then I wanted exact drops so I had someone make me some blank bushings and I’d drill team them to get what I wanted . Now I’m using all MEC loaders and I use the closest bushing I can find a little over or under is okay .

Jerry Harlow 01-12-2024 06:48 PM

[QUOTE=Carl G. Bachhuber;402971]Over the years I have collected a lot of MEC bushings. If I can't find one that gives the weight I want I hone+polish until I get what I want.

I've found the plastic ones on ebay to be the cheap solution to have the size you need. Lots of sellers there. One guy selling 24 bushings for $48.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12591444462...3ABFBM0o7ygKBj

Carl G. Bachhuber 01-14-2024 09:42 AM

I suppose it depends on the plastic being used. I would worry about static sticking powder to the bushing. This can be a problem with some powders and plastic bottles.
C.G.B.

Daryl Corona 01-14-2024 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Harlow (Post 402991)
Here is one.

That's the one I use. I also have the red plastic one with the spring loaded seat and they work just fine. I've found that no matter what you use the key to consistent drops is dependent on the vibration of the machine and the dwell, hesitation for lack of a better term, on the powder drop and the methodical rhythm of the loading process. I hope I got that point across. I shoot with a fellow who will, out of any 100 round, have at least 3 or more bloopers. I suggested that he follow my method and now he is down to almost zero problems.

Paul Ehlers 01-22-2024 10:18 AM

I've been going through the same issue of MEC powder bushings throwing a lighter charge than the MEC chart spec's. I've had to move up three bushing sizes to get the charge weight correct for the current recipe I'm using. Personally I don't find this to be a big deal because I'm a picky experienced reloader, but I do find it concerning for a new person to the loading game, knowing that if they just go by the chart, their loads could be significantly off, at least MEC bushings throw a lighter charge rather than a heavier one.

Something to keep in mind about what baffles are intended for. They keep a consistent weight of powder over the charge bushing before each throw of powder. Without one you can have variations in charge weights depending on how full or close to empty the powder bottle or tube is.

Randy Zimmer 02-04-2024 07:39 PM

I agree with you, Paul, there is one of my 16 gauge recipes that I tap the MEC Junior Powder bottle just so to get the most accurate powder charge, lol