Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   New User Introductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New member new gun (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29326)

Troy Means 02-09-2020 06:43 PM

New member new gun

6 Attachment(s)
My dad has handed down my grandfather’s Parker to me and I couldn’t be more thrilled. I had always listened to my grandfather speak with so much pride and joy about his Parker. Not until my dad placed it in my hands did I understand the beauty of my grandfather’s Parker. It truly is an heirloom that will stay with me and be passed down again. But under my watch I want to try to learn everything I could about Parker’s and particularly this gun. Unfortunately, the serial number 221799 is not listed in the Parker records. So, I am looking for any other info, input, etc that you all might have. I am honored to be a part of this community and have really enjoyed reading the forums.

Mike McKinney 02-09-2020 06:46 PM

We hope you enjoy your experiences in our organization. Thanks for opting to be here.

Dean Romig 02-09-2020 07:12 PM

Hello Troy and welcome to the PGCA.

Your grandfather must have been really proud of that Parker!

You will need to know right from the start that it has been upgraded, most likely having left the Parker Brothers factory as a VH or Grade 0. The border engraving on the side panels are done to represent the borders of a CH or Grade 4 but so many other things about the gun defy categorization as any particular grade.
The wood and the checkering patterns are that of a VH.
The engraving on all of the metal parts is tastefully done and is somebody's idea of what a really fine Parker upgrade should look like.
The barrels look like they may have been shortened...
The screws on the floor plate are probably in the wrong holes as they will only line up properly if in the holes they were originally fitted to.

All in all, you can be proud of your grandfather's Parker - it sure is a beauty!... and I hope you shoot the daylights out of it and hunt with it too and make some of your own memories with it.

Troy Means 02-09-2020 07:37 PM

Thank you for the info and thoughts Dean. I appreciate it.

Steve Huffman 02-09-2020 07:42 PM

Troy, Has the grade been changed on the water table of the frame ?

Troy Means 02-09-2020 07:59 PM

Water table and grade

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the photo of it.

Steve Huffman 02-09-2020 08:03 PM

As Dean said It started life as a VH and is a upgrade ,

Joe Dreisch 02-09-2020 09:12 PM

Is this a 12 gauge gun?

Troy Means 02-10-2020 12:58 AM

It is a 20

Brian Dudley 02-10-2020 09:59 AM

The upgrade term here is used loosely. "Upgrade" would mean it was intended to emulate an actual higher factory grade. This does not. It would be defined as a "Custom" gun as the embellishment added to it are not in line with actual factory grade offerings.

It appears to still have its original buttstock. The forend would be up for debate at this point as not enough of it is visible to try and authenticate it. And that block of serial numbers is not in the book.

It is an attractive gun and the engraving/inlay work looks to be very well done. I could imagine this gun with proper metal finishes and a restock befitting of the work already done.