Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   DH barrels (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21334)

Daniel G Rainey 04-21-2017 09:22 AM

DH barrels

In the early 1900's when Parker started putting steel barrels on the DH guns were all the barrels marked titanic steel ? Thanks in advance.

Dean Romig 04-21-2017 09:54 AM

1897 saw the introduction of Titanic Steel barrels and they were so marked from the beginning.
There are likely to be a small number of Grade 3 guns from the early 1900's without Titanic marked on the rib and without the T in the circle on the right barrel flat, but their originality would be questionable. A research letter on such a gun might reveal how the gun left Meriden.

George Lander 04-21-2017 11:50 AM

I would imagine that the markings "Titanic" ceased to be used after the ship "TITANIC" foundered.

Best Regards, George

Brian Dudley 04-21-2017 11:50 AM

What is the root cause of your question? Are the barrels on a gun unmarked? Or marked with a different type of steel?
It could be a Damascus gun that was rebarreled.

Dave Noreen 04-21-2017 11:52 AM

The Parker Story lists sixteen Quality 3 hammerless guns with Vulcan Steel barrels in the 82275 to 88725 serial number range and two with Whitworth Steel barrels 79503 and 92569, all 12-gauge 30-inch

Daniel G Rainey 04-21-2017 11:58 AM

Dean, Saw the DH in a pawn-gun shop. Numbers say 1890 gun the engraving is like picture in the Parker story of the early gun but it has steel barrels with the right numbers, barrel wt. of 3lb. 1oz. (seems light two me for 28 inch ) Forearm was new with right numbers. But the engraving is outstanding.numbers and the barrels had Parker Bros. Meriden ct. on the rib. Just did not smell right.

Brian Dudley 04-21-2017 12:01 PM

Yeah, that is suspect. Any steel type stamp on the bottom?
Any blank space after the makers mark before matting start again?

They could be worked over Damascus barrels. Or some sort of replacements. Late remington barrels had no makers mark. And the same was so with most new barrels fitted up by Lefever Arms later on.

Or, hey, they could be an original oddity I suppose.

Daniel G Rainey 04-21-2017 02:41 PM

The gun was rebarreled and ejectors added too. Gun made 1890. Did not notice the steel marking on the flats if was there. Saw the gun on line and stopped at the pawn shop while on the way to Kansas turkey hunting. Stopped on the way back and looked again. Since the gun does not fit and it did not smell just right I passed.Did not notice any blank space, but did notice the line at the end of the matting before the end of the barrels did not appeared not be straight.

edgarspencer 04-21-2017 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Lander (Post 216852)
I would imagine that the markings "Titanic" ceased to be used after the ship "TITANIC" foundered.

Best Regards, George

Barrels marked Titanic Steel were mark as such from their introduction, until Remington moved manufacturing to Illion

Dean Romig 04-21-2017 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel G Rainey (Post 216864)
The gun was rebarreled and ejectors added too. Gun made 1890. Did not notice the steel marking on the flats if was there. Saw the gun on line and stopped at the pawn shop while on the way to Kansas turkey hunting. Stopped on the way back and looked again. Since the gun does not fit and it did not smell just right I passed.Did not notice any blank space, but did notice the line at the end of the matting before the end of the barrels did not appeared not be straight.

If it was rebarreled at Remington that would account for the lack of a legend on the top rib.
Were the ejectors of Parker Bros. design or were they some other aftermarket brand?