Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I'm baaaaack .......... (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31958)

Stan Hillis 12-22-2020 09:00 PM

I'm baaaaack ..........

Apologies to Schwarzenegger, but after being out of commission for the whole early dove season due to an accident I was finally able to get on a sunflower field with some late season doves this afternoon. Took the DHE 16/20/32" with the 16 ga. set on it. Used Polywad spreaders in the right barrel for closer shots and 1 oz. Rios in the left for the longer ones.

Thirteen in this pic, picked up one more, and lost one in a pond that was too deep for me to get to, to make the limit.

I'm so grateful for my complete recovery. I'm only here because I was given a second chance. I don't take that for granted. It was a glorious afternoon.

https://www.jpgbox.com/jpg/62013_800x600.jpg

SRH

Garry L Gordon 12-22-2020 09:24 PM

I don't know the circumstances, but I understand second chances and savoring time. Enjoy!

Harold Lee Pickens 12-22-2020 09:42 PM

That's a great start to getting back! Nice gun

Stan Hillis 12-22-2020 09:45 PM

In the interest of not being vague, I'll give the short version ......

I hit my head on a waterslide on the afternoon of Aug. 29 and went into the lake unconscious. I was found on the bottom some 8+ minutes after going down, was given mouth-to-mouth, and revived. My lungs were full of nasty lake water which contained three bad bacteria. Bad infections ensued which further threatened my life, with high fevers, for several days. I was on a ventilator for 12 days, then breathing tubes for about 5 more, rehab for 6 days, then home, after 28 days, to complete my recovery. Eight minutes without oxygen is about 4 1/2 more than my docs said was possible, and not have severe brain damage. Yet, at 69 years, I am 100% recovered with zero after effects. The guys picked the corn crop without me, but I helped pick the peanuts and cotton, as I strengthened.

There is a God in heaven and he is still in the miracle business!

Garry L Gordon 12-22-2020 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Hillis (Post 319558)
In the interest of not being vague, I'll give the short version ......

I hit my head on a waterslide on the afternoon of Aug. 29 and went into the lake unconscious. I was found on the bottom some 8+ minutes after going down, was given mouth-to-mouth, and revived. My lungs were full of nasty lake water which contained three bad bacteria. Bad infections ensued which further threatened my life, with high fevers, for several days. I was on a ventilator for 12 days, then breathing tubes for about 5 more, rehab for 6 days, then home, after 28 days, to complete my recovery. Eight minutes without oxygen is about 4 1/2 more than my docs said was possible, and not have severe brain damage. Yet, at 69 years, I am 100% recovered with zero after effects. The guys picked the corn crop without me, but I helped pick the peanuts and cotton, as I strengthened.

There is a God in heaven and he is still in the miracle business!

You are, indeed(!), back. Life looks good doesn't it? Take care, and enjoy.

Richard Flanders 12-22-2020 10:27 PM

Holy shit Stan! Welcome back indeed!!! You dodged one for sure. A question though: A water slide at 69??? I hope you've learned your lesson on that one!

Chuck Bishop 12-22-2020 11:00 PM

Welcome back Stan!

Mills Morrison 12-23-2020 04:30 AM

Glad to hear the news!

Stan Hillis 12-23-2020 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Flanders (Post 319561)
Holy shit Stan! Welcome back indeed!!! You dodged one for sure. A question though: A water slide at 69??? I hope you've learned your lesson on that one!

The problem wasn't the water slide. I went down it probably 10 times that day. The problem is having an adventurous 18 year old trapped inside a 69 year old body! :banghead:

SRH

Daryl Corona 12-23-2020 07:12 AM

Welcome back to the dove field Stan. Like you say they aren't hard to hit just easy to miss.

The older I get, 70 at last count, the more I believe that there is a day with your name on it. That day wasn't yours my friend. Enjoy the holidays- I'm sure this one will be special.:bowdown: