Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   First Dance with the Old Lady (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22211)

Scott Chapman 09-11-2017 11:56 AM

First Dance with the Old Lady

1 Attachment(s)
I finally got a chance to get out the new to me 1926 Trojan 12 gauge 30" IM/F.

She fits pretty well but it took a little time to get our rhythm down.

Those high incomers were giving us fits.

Limited with right at two boxes of RST 2 1/2" 1 oz 7.5. In the heavier Frame 2 gun, the RSTs were softer shooting than my Beretta gas auto 12.

Attachment 56756

Richard Flanders 09-12-2017 10:56 AM

It always seems as if you just can't lead the fast incomers too much.

Scott Chapman 09-12-2017 11:18 AM

I was having trouble because the tall birds were "blotted out" by the barrels which I think made me stop my swing. Not being able to see the bird makes it difficult.

I was trying to cheat by turning my head and gun a bit, which of course always results in a miss.

Only solution is more practice...

Bill Murphy 09-12-2017 11:42 AM

What's with the wood on that Trojan? I looks like a block of English Walnut. I would like to see it with the finish stripped and a coat of oil rubbed in.

Dean Romig 09-12-2017 12:53 PM

Trojans of Meriden manufacture had straight grain American Black Walnut. Some looked better than others.

Scott Chapman 09-12-2017 01:23 PM

I don't know too much about the stock other than it appears to be pretty much standard and uncut (14" LOP according to Kirk Merrington).

I bought this Trojan off of Gun Broker last month from a guy who was doing consignments from an estate in up state New York. I will definitely consider having the stock cleaned up. She definitely has a few battle scars on the wood.

Kirk thinks that the barrels may have been reblued. I ordered a letter but it didn't provide a whole lot of info.

ED J, MORGAN 09-13-2017 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 224849)
What's with the wood on that Trojan? I looks like a block of English Walnut. I would like to see it with the finish stripped and a coat of oil rubbed in.

Bill, I think what we are seeing are the growth rings of a quarter cut american walnut blank.

Bill Murphy 09-14-2017 08:38 AM

Oh, darn.

Russell E. Cleary 09-20-2017 11:29 PM

Scott:

My father's 1929-issue Trojan shares many features with your gun: 12 gauge; #2-frame; 30 inch barrels; IM/F. However, the stock and fore-end were pronounced by one dealer in vintage firearms be an early replacement.

I need to have some good photos taken of the gun, post some pictures, and ask if the wood is likely a replacement; and if so, could the job possibly have been done in the factory.

It is more interesting wood than is on his 16 or 12 gauge VH guns -- maybe I'm just seeing those beguiling growth rings.

Of his four Parkers, which included a 12 gauge 1 1/2-frame DHE, his preferred gun to hunt and shoot targets with was the Trojan that is so much like yours.