Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Correct sized butt plate w/ peak (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19288)

Bill Graham 06-22-2016 09:35 AM

Correct sized butt plate w/ peak

Hello All. Fixing up a 1 1/2 frame VH that has a hard rubber butt plate with the widows peak. A good chunk of the toe end is missing. There are a number of reproductions out there for little money, and they are size designations. Sizes, 0, 1, and 2 are all listed. None of them are sized as 1 1/2. There is no size indication on the inside of the plate I'm replacing.

Is there a size known to work for a 1 1/2 or is a matter of just measuring and dealing with whatever areas of the plate are proud of the wood?

Thank you.

Dean Romig 06-22-2016 10:13 AM

Either a 2-frame or a 1-frame butt plate may fit but some filing of the butt plate will probably be required
You should post the exact width and height of your butt stock and ask if anyone has one that may be close without being too small.

Bill Graham 06-22-2016 10:55 AM

Looks to me to be:

2 5/8" on center between screw holes
5" length
1 11/16" at widest width

Brian Dudley 06-22-2016 05:21 PM

The number 1 size buttplate is correct for a 1-1/2 frame gun.

It os the style with the dog with bird in mouth.

If you need one, i have plenty of quality reproductions available.

Bill Graham 06-22-2016 05:37 PM

Thank you, Sir. I'm considering my shoulder, and looking at the orange period correct pad with the as well. I'll send you a PM.

Bill Graham 06-30-2016 08:35 PM

I have a reproduction plate now and it needs to be fit. The spur needs material added to fill the space in the stock. Bryan suggested black Acraglass. Sounds like a good idea.

The original plate is only missing a small section to the toe, so I've thinking about building that back with Acraglass and shaping it. The original plate would be nice to keep.

The original plate is a black/brownish hue. Is there there a method people like to blacken the old butt plates us a bit so black Acraglass would match better?

Brian Dudley 06-30-2016 09:01 PM

The material that the old plates are made of turns that brownish color (on the surface) with age.
Usually you can get it to buff back to black, or at least darken up some, with some wax or a polishing compound.

Repairing broken toes or chips with acraglass is good way to go as well.

The variation in the spurrs from buttplate to buttplate are just the nature of the beast.

Bill Graham 06-30-2016 09:52 PM

I've got the reproduction that you sent me if I need it. Fitting it will be a bit more difficult than trying to repair and refurbish the factory pad, so I'm trying that first. I've not had much practice with Acraglass as of yet. Walk before run.