Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Browning Liege O/U (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29822)

Timothy Salgado 03-31-2020 11:57 AM

Browning Liege O/U

I was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with the Browning Liege line of shotguns. I read the various posts online, and handled one at the Hamburg Cabelas store, the design was different from the Superposed, although sellers describe them as "Superposed Liege" . I just wanted to hear from anyone who has one and what their opinion is of them, as I looked at few others locally. Is their design similar to the current FN made Winchester O/Us?
Thanks ,
Tim

Brian Dudley 03-31-2020 02:02 PM

They are not on par with the Superposed guns mechanically speaking. They are very close to the Citoris. And the Citori was basically a simplified Superposed anyway.

I am not super familiar with the Liege line to be able to say what the supposed difference was to be from a Marketing standpoint.

Dave Noreen 03-31-2020 02:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The only Browning catalog I have that covers the Leige is a 1973. The Leige was at a price point about half way between the Superposed and the Citori.

Attachment 82574

Attachment 82575

Attachment 82573

Timothy Salgado 03-31-2020 11:17 PM

Thanks for the catalog info Dave, the couple that I was considering are described as NIB. I have two Superposed 12 and two Citoris a 12 Hunter model and a 16 gauge. I’ll look in more detail at the catalog info tomorrow on my computer.
Thanks again.

CraigThompson 04-01-2020 04:30 AM

As much as it goes against my grain to say this , a Browning Citori is a tough as nails utilitarian grade skeet/trap gun . I much prefer a Superposed but I doubt if a Superposed will take the beating that the Jap guns will . I’ve not owned a Citori in probably twenty years but I’ve got a hankering to get another Citori in a 16 gauge , preferably one of the first run of Lightening 16’s with 26 or 28 inch barrels . As to the Liege I’ve never had one in my hands but I remmember when they first hit the market . And at that time I wanted a B-SS 20 and priced at $257.99 at Clark Brothers with cash they could be had for about $232 !!!! But other than the B-SS Sidelock 12 I had for awhile I’ve never owned any other B-SS . Sorry if I got off the original subject .

Timothy Salgado 04-01-2020 08:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree with you Craig on the Citori , especially the 16, that’s the version I have one of the first runs. I’m on the look out for another one of those and a BSS with the selective trigger. I’m interested in finding something NIB which is why I inquired about the Liege. Here’s a photo of my grandson with the Citori 16 and his first Rooster.

CraigThompson 04-01-2020 08:07 PM

My first Citori was a four barrel skeet set . Only others I’ve owned were a pair of 16’s first a first run 28” Lightning and a 24” Upland Special . Wish I had both the 16’s back :cool:

Dave Noreen 04-02-2020 11:38 AM

Back in the 70s a buddy of mine picked up a straight gripped BSS to save wear and tear on his 1899 vintage straight grip DH-Grade. In looking it over we noticed that marked in fair sized lettering it stated "Made in Japan" but under that in very tiny letters it was marked "Assembled in Korea".

Mark Ray 04-02-2020 01:11 PM

My wedding present from my bride was a 12 bore grade III Citori Lightning, with RKLT grip. I think it was the first year the guns were available with “invector” chokes. She ordered it from Carter’s Country in Houston, and asked for “upgraded” wood. it is a really good looking shotgun, and if im shooting for money, it is the one that is recruited. I have shot untold numbers of 1 1/4 oz, 3 3/4 dr rounds through this gun, and also plenty of 3” magnums. It is still tight as a tick. My old pigeon gun, a superposed lightning with broadway trap barrels is loose as a goose

Gary Laudermilch 04-02-2020 06:55 PM

I have a Citori clays gun that has 150,000 rounds through it. Still tight and has required no repairs. No reason it will not go another 150k.