Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Foto Fridays (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Is it Friday yet??... too bad.... (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27024)

Richard Flanders 04-09-2019 12:49 AM

Is it Friday yet??... too bad....

3 Attachment(s)
I've never shown this 1903 30" #2-frame DH12 up close on the forum. I never noticed until this evening that it is a "4-birder". I haven't shot it in years, not since Trigg and I did a winter pheasant hunt in ice fog at -13F down near Anchorage, and frankly never even noticed the four birds on the floorplate. It's quite a nice gun really. Lots of color and very sharp engraving. If you put a cotton glove on and rub the engraving it snags the glove lightly. It can't have been carried by the receiver much. With tight chokes it's a good long range killer and breaks clays wayyy out there. Fits me well too. It would be great for wild flushing late season pheasants.

Dean Romig 04-09-2019 09:58 AM

That's a very nice DH Richard!

Are those birds on the floor plate willow ptarmigan or rock ptarmigan?

Garry L Gordon 04-09-2019 10:29 AM

I really like the stylization of Parker engravers from this period. Those birds are great!

John Dallas 04-09-2019 10:32 AM

The barrels are great! Have they been freshened?

Richard Flanders 04-09-2019 11:34 AM

I don't think so John. As far as I can tell this gun is all original and just didn't get carried that much. I'm wondering about the engraving though. Look at the left side closely. There are numerous overuns along the top border line and a bunch of lines cutting across the scroll in front of the panel. What's with that?? Is that normal? Maybe it was engraved on Friday afternoon?

John Dallas 04-09-2019 11:36 AM

Yikes! What a gun!

Dean Romig 04-09-2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Flanders (Post 271129)
Look at the left side closely. There are a bunch of lines cutting across the scroll in front of the panel. What's with that?? Is that normal? Maybe it was engraved on Friday afternoon?

Richard, those lines cutting across the scroll engraving are pretty typical in that era. They were added by the engraver to provise depth and character.
Take a close look at the scroll surrounding the panel on the floor plate and you’ll see the same thing.

Richard Flanders 04-09-2019 12:40 PM

Thanks Dean. I figured there must be a reason for them. I did see the same thing around the panel too.

Tom Flanigan 04-09-2019 04:18 PM

I hate to get this thread off track but is your airplane a Stinson fabric? I looks like one hell of an airplane. I'm curious. How many seats?

Richard Flanders 04-09-2019 06:26 PM

Stinson?! You're lucky I don't tell it you think it's a Sinson! 1947 Piper PA-12 Super Cruiser. 3-seater.