Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Round knobs (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37988)

Aaron Beck 12-14-2022 12:08 PM

Round knobs

In anticipation of a winter restocking I am looking for photos of the parker factory round knob grips. ive always liked the one I have on my lc smith and admired what few parkers ive seen. I wonder if they were ordered to save money or as a compromise between straight and capped? Please post some photos for inspiration!

Reggie Bishop 12-14-2022 01:54 PM

Personally, I think it was just one of the three styles available to order. Pistol, Capped Pistol or Straight.

Randy G Roberts 12-14-2022 02:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple. I have at least one other that I have not photographed yet. I can try to get a cell pic tonight and post it.

Stan Hillis 12-14-2022 02:34 PM

On some other makes it was pistol (capped), or half pistol (round knob), or straight. Was Parker not this way?

Dean Romig 12-14-2022 03:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yes, Parker Bros. used those terms and sometimes also used the term "round knob".
A great deal of the time we see the half-pistol grip or round knob grip referred to as the POW or "Prince of Wales" grip. This is a misnomer.
The only guns that ever had a true Prince of Wales were those made for the Prince of Wales (King Edward) by Churchill to the specs he and the Prince of Wales determined were best. This was told to me by David Trevallion, stockmaker at Purdey of London and currently plying his trade or mentoring a successor in southern Maine.

Below is the only Parker I have ever seen with a POW-shaped grip. Note the very slight arc of the grip.

Chuck Bishop 12-14-2022 03:13 PM

There was also the ball grip where the end of the grip at the knob was larger than the rest of the grip.

In the stock books, Parker labeled their grips CPG, P.G. or --- (straight)

Dean Romig 12-14-2022 03:29 PM

Right Chuck and I think we see those almost exclusively on hammer guns, most of the ball grips being on Lifters.

Reggie Bishop 12-14-2022 03:31 PM

[

In the stock books, Parker labeled their grips CPG, P.G. or --- (straight)[/QUOTE]

Isn't this what I said? :)

Bill Murphy 12-14-2022 03:33 PM

Dean, tell us more about the gun you pictured. Wow!

Dave Noreen 12-14-2022 03:34 PM

5 Attachment(s)
In the hammer gun era Parker Bros. had the distinctly bulbous pistol grip that many collectors call the "ball grip" and many mistakenly apply that term to the half-pistol grips of the hammerless era.

Most Parker Bros. catalogs just state "straight or pistol grip" --

Attachment 112348

Attachment 112347

Attachment 112346

Attachment 112349

By the Remington era they specify the "half pistol grip --

Attachment 112350