Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   16 Ga Lifter revisited (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27238)

Dean Romig 05-05-2019 07:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Jay, the wrist had been broken at least two or three times and had been poorly repaired and voids left by missing pieces had been filled with some unknown substance and no attempt had been made to disguise it. The checkering on the grip and ball had also been poorly done. It needs to be replaced but I want to keep that beautiful honey-blonde stock. I have discussed this work with Chris Dawe but getting it to him is always a problem.

There is very little else that needs to be done other than to replace the screw at the front of the trigger plate. It had been drilled for an “easy-out” because it was frozen in place.
That and maybe a proper refinish of the barrels.

Dean Romig 05-05-2019 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Oliver (Post 273114)
Dean, Thanks for posting those pictures...that is an amazing 16 gauge lifter! Those barrels are beautiful...the whole gun is beautiful. That is a nice and very rare lifter! Is the crack in the wrist the only big issue?

I really like that gun. I had done a search for 16 gauge lifters not too long ago and was wondering why I wasn't seeing too many and then looked in the Parker Story and noticed how rare they were. Was it something like 79 lifters total in 16 gauge? I am sure there were some not recorded but still, you just don't see them that often.

In fact Jay, my 16 gauge Lifter No. 18719 is not just rare, it is unique in that it is the only known 16 ga. Lifter of any grade with 27” Laminated barrels - so unique in fact that it is not even shown in the tables in the Grades section of TPS. And to top it all off, they are the Parker-made Laminated barrels.

Harry Collins 05-05-2019 09:14 AM

Dean,

I'm curious about how much the 16 weighs? I had a 16 that was mono blocked to 20 and the gun was heavy compared to a 16 lifter I hefted at the Fall Southern in about 2012.

Harry

Jay Oliver 05-05-2019 09:26 AM

Dean, that's as good as it gets...a 1 of 1 Lifter! I did look at TPS before I posted and noticed there wasn't a 27" D grade listed. And there were only 5 other D grade lifters made in 16 gauge. Even with the crack in the wrist are you able to shoot. I am thinking you might have brought it to Addieville a few years ago? I should have payed more attention.

Kirk Potter 05-05-2019 09:29 AM

Nice! love those grade 3 and up hammer guns.. Been trying to find the right one for a while now.

edgarspencer 05-05-2019 09:39 AM

Jay, I think you're mixing up the two guns Dean posted. The 12 is the one with the cracked stock.

Dean Romig 05-05-2019 10:00 AM

That's right Edgar. Thank you.

Harry - My scale is not working and it isn't the batteries - I guess I'll need to buy a new one.
The 16 gauge D Lifter is nice and light and perfectly balanced but I don't know what it weighs at the moment.

Rich Anderson 05-05-2019 12:50 PM

With all the lifter mania going on I might have to dig mine out. It's an earlier gun than those posted here, serial number in the 13000 range.

Hammer guns are indeed special and I was very fortunate to get a top lever grade 3 16 last year at the Southern. This year I shot a much neglected 32 inch 16 top lever.

Dean I bet that stock could be properly repaired for far less than the cost of a new one.

Dean Romig 05-05-2019 01:01 PM

IMO it is too far gone and needs a new stock head made and to transplant the stock onto it at the checkering line. This kind of joint can be made stronger than the original and be invisible too.

John Dallas 05-05-2019 02:07 PM

I wonder if re-doing the stock head is much cheaper than a whole stock redo. I'd guess that 70-80% of the labor cost of a stock in in the head