Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Enough to make a man cry! (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22690)

Harold Lee Pickens 11-12-2017 07:44 PM

Enough to make a man cry!

1 Attachment(s)
EHD( epizootic hemmoragic disease) has hit our local area very hard. In Jefferson county, Ohio, it is estimated that up to 80% of the deer have died. I was hunting pheasant today at our club in that county and we found all three of these deer , plus many dead does, and smaller bucks. what a tragedy!!
Luckily, the disease did not hit at my farm 40 miles south of the club, as we have been seeing deer bigger than these 3 there.
I was at least carrying a Parker when we found these 3, 2 were within 100yds of each other in the switchgrass fields

Harold Lee Pickens 11-12-2017 07:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am sure that I will find many more as hunting season progrsses. We have always had big deer in Ohio, and we can only hope that these big boys passed on there genes last year

Dean Romig 11-12-2017 08:48 PM

Man, that's terrible Harold!!

Where in Ohio is Jefferson County? My cousin's farm is in the town of Jefferson in NE Ohio.
Of course it's just a matter of time and it will probably affect the entire state and adjoining states as well, like PA.

Pretty sad! Judging by the antler development and the velvet I'd say they died about two months ago.

Dean Romig 11-12-2017 08:50 PM

I read where it is carried by a biting midge hatched from isolated water sources and is not transmitted from deer to deer.

Jay Gardner 11-12-2017 08:53 PM

Just makes me sick to see this. There have been a few reports of EHD here in MI but so far isolated to a few southern counties but I know how quickly it will spread.

Jay Gardner 11-12-2017 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 228329)
I read where it is carried by a biting midge hatched from isolated water sources and is not transmitted from deer to deer.

That’s how it is transmitted. It’s also called “Blue Tongue” because the tongue swells preventing the host from being able to swallow (and drink).

Harold Lee Pickens 11-12-2017 09:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dean,, Jefferson county is on the Ohio River--the largest city is Steubenville. Jefferson , Ohio is probably 2hrs north of here, and yes it is carried by a biting midge.
Jay, the first frost kills the midges and essentially ends the epidemic--but there is always next year.
We were also hit hard around my house where the stench of dead deer was prevalent for weeks, but at least one survived as a big 10 pt was tending a doe by my mailbox when I came home from pheasant hunting today.

Harold Lee Pickens 11-12-2017 09:06 PM

Yes, we found all these along the creek bottom

Daniel G Rainey 11-13-2017 07:03 AM

Awful, what a waste. hope the deer rebound. Thank God it has not hit Mississippi.

Shawn Wayment 11-13-2017 02:41 PM

Terrible disease. I know that EHD and Blue Tongue are similar viruses...I think that EHD & Blue Tongue are insect borne by those nasty little biting flies. Terrible to see that.