Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   PARKER RABBIT HUNT (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41171)

Jerry Harlow 02-06-2024 11:02 PM

PARKER RABBIT HUNT

1 Attachment(s)
A short morning hunt with Parkers on 2-3-24. Taken at dinner break (lunch for y'all above the Mason-Dixon line).:)

Trojan 12, DHE 16, Trojan 20. All with open chokes in the right barrels.

Garry L Gordon 02-07-2024 07:11 AM

Wonderful! With beagles, or walked up?

CraigThompson 02-07-2024 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon (Post 404867)

After going with my cousin a couple times and being informed by a member here “it just ain’t right to shoot rabbits that aren’t being run by beagles” . If you kick them up before the beagles hit I was informed do not shoot :whistle:

Garry L Gordon 02-07-2024 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigThompson (Post 404877)
After going with my cousin a couple times and being informed by a member here “it just ain’t right to shoot rabbits that aren’t being run by beagles” . If you kick them up before the beagles hit I was informed do not shoot :whistle:

But ya gotta have beagles.

Daniel Carter 02-07-2024 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon (Post 404879)
But ya gotta have beagles.

35 years or so ago i had 4 beagles and 2 high school age sons who needed some thing constructive to do after the bird season ended. we ran the dogs every Sunday year round and hunted them Sat, and school vacations till their ribs were showing, they looked abused except for there muscle structure.
The rule was no shooting on the jump and the dogs had to run 15 minutes before you could load your gun. As they got better they switched to .22 rifles then pistols. The dogs when coming to where a rabbit was killed acted discussded and gave us a very hard look before going off searching again.
Kept two boys busy and out of mischief and got them a lot of time in the woods that taught them how to also hunt deer in that the same discipline applies to both.
I really miss those days, my last beagler friend died 5 years back and now when i hear a hound running i just listen to the chase and remember those days.

Garry L Gordon 02-07-2024 10:54 AM

I’d sure like to go on a rabbit hunt using beagles again. I got to go several times when I was a kid at the invitation of friends. What a special way to hunt. I’d also like to hunt deer again over hounds…and carry a Parker while doing it.

Wishful thinking.

(Thanks for this post!)

Daniel Carter 02-07-2024 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon (Post 404882)
I’d sure like to go on a rabbit hunt using beagles again. I got to go several times when I was a kid at the invitation of friends. What a special way to hunt. I’d also like to hunt deer again over hounds…and carry a Parker while doing it.

Wishful thinking.

(Thanks for this post!)

Rutledge writes that rabbits and deer with hounds, if you know one you know the other.
I have a VH 30 inch full and mod. the same as his and would love to get the chance to go on a deer hunt with hounds. Not so much to kill a deer but to listen to the hunt and be part of it.
Where i grouse hunt in Maine the bear season for hounds is open in Oct. and when a hunt is heard we will follow it at a distance to listen to it and we have returned a few lost hounds to the guides. I have no desire to kill a bear but love the hunt.

CraigThompson 02-07-2024 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Carter (Post 404885)
Rutledge writes that rabbits and deer with hounds, if you know one you know the other.
I have a VH 30 inch full and mod. the same as his and would love to get the chance to go on a deer hunt with hounds. Not so much to kill a deer but to listen to the hunt and be part of it.
Where i grouse hunt in Maine the bear season for hounds is open in Oct. and when a hunt is heard we will follow it at a distance to listen to it and we have returned a few lost hounds to the guides. I have no desire to kill a bear but love the hunt.

We’re on the same page concerning Rutledge and using a Parker for deer the way they used to do it . I went so far as to talk to Rick Hemingway about doing just such a hunt at his place since it isn’t to far from Rutledge’s old stomping grounds .

Andrew Sacco 02-07-2024 12:39 PM

Share your favorite recipe please, I have one in the freezer.

Jerry Harlow 02-07-2024 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon (Post 404867)

Six beagles. Kept them away to prevent them dragging them off and walking on guns. A couple of videos of shots on Youtube at J. A. Early. Have to scroll down to a blue circle with a J in it.