Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   1888 Grade 2 Hammer Won Today: (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34030)

Bruce P Bruner 08-18-2021 05:35 PM

1888 Grade 2 Hammer Won Today:

6 Attachment(s)
I was the only bidder on this 1888 #1 frame Parker 30" 12 gauge today. I'm as pleased as punch. When I saw the butt stock figure in the wood I just had to have it. The bores aren't perfect but when I'm 133 years old my bores won't be perfect either. Barrels have no dents or cuts, a very good thing. Seller said Cylinder x Cylinder with his drop in gauge but that's okay, we'll pattern it and find out what the cardboard says. It's said to be tight on face and locks up solid. Not that these old beaters bring much but at $1K OTD my addiction is cured for the moment. The stock is almost worth the chips laid out, unbelievable furniture for a Grade 2. Yup, there's certain risk not knowing the detailed wall thickness but when I decide to roll the dice there's no stopping me. I can't decide whether to have a magician redo the barrels or just shoot and enjoy it as is. There's no rush, better to decide when the gun is in hand anyway. The PGCA will undoubtedly receive another $40.00 donation for the details. Please pardon Mr. Bell's thumb. Observations anyone?

Bill Murphy 08-18-2021 05:56 PM

Yup, let us know what you find out for your $40.00. Nice big barrels for a one frame.

Austin J Hawthorne Jr. 08-18-2021 06:16 PM

Looks like a "D" grade checkering pattern on the forend.

Bruce P Bruner 08-18-2021 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin J Hawthorne Jr. (Post 341219)
Looks like a "D" grade checkering pattern on the forend.

Correct observation, the forend is a replacement. Coincidentally, the replacement forend dates to the same year as the shotgun. At least the replacement is a pretty reasonable match for the buttstock wood. I was fully aware, disclosure was forthright, and obvious in the photograph. It won't affect using the shotgun.

Mills Morrison 08-18-2021 07:57 PM

Very nice. I saw that one and seriously considered it. The wood is to die for

Bruce P Bruner 08-18-2021 08:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mills Morrison (Post 341233)
Very nice. I saw that one and seriously considered it. The wood is to die for

I'm very fortunate you didn't bid. Yes, that wood is unbelievable. My top bid was $1125.50 and I got it for the opening price of $887.50 plus the TAX GB charges now. 20 minutes after the auction closed I got a call from a local shop saying the HK tactical USP I had on consignment had sold for my asking price. So after paying for the Parker I still came out $50.00 ahead. I love being lucky. Additionally it's a big plus to have the shotgun delivered to my front door.

Randy G Roberts 08-18-2021 08:33 PM

Congratulations on your purchase of a fine looking gun. Actually wood of that grade during that era on those guns is not uncommon at all. Another thing, when those chokes are measured with drop-in gauges on the hammer guns they may actually end up measuring a little tighter. Not always, but I would almost bet it will be tighter than what the drop in shows. Congrats :bowdown:

Dean Romig 08-18-2021 09:00 PM

It looks like it might be jiust a whisker off-face but that can be corrected.

edgarspencer 08-18-2021 09:14 PM

Drop-in choke gauges don’t tell you much on an old gun. They are based on a .729” bore, but guns of this era often have larger bores.

Bruce P Bruner 08-18-2021 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 341246)
It looks like it might be just a whisker off-face but that can be corrected.

Hard to know for sure with photography. I have in the past cut a piece of paper to cover the hinge pin and impregnated it with grease and that little bit of off- face disappears. It's not a permanent solution by any means but you can get by. I'm not recommending this "patch" but it worked well until a better solution could be had.