Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   When a Five Gallon Bucket Just Won't Do.... (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27664)

Destry L. Hoffard 07-02-2019 01:54 PM

When a Five Gallon Bucket Just Won't Do....

1 Attachment(s)
I've not been on the site in ages, been moving house and a thousand other things. Turned 49 this month and I thought a gift to myself was required for passing the near half century mark.

I've always despised the use of a five gallon bucket for a hunting / fishing seat. If there's anything that doesn't go with a nice double barrel shotgun it's a plastic bucket. But I never knew what to replace one with, they are a useful article for certain.

Then I ran into a Facebook page called "Custom Cypress" and the guy makes a thing the cajuns call a "bedon". They're a wooden bucket they used to tote their shells, coffee bottle, and other small hunting articles in. So I asked him could he make a sort of magnum bedon that was the same size as a five gallon bucket....

$210 dollars (shipped) later here is the result. I have a nice piece of old army canvas I'm going to used to make a pad for the top and I'm going to give it a dose of "duck boat green" paint on the outside.

Not a piece of metal in it, all made by hand with wooden pegs and slats. Seems solid as a rock and surprisingly light, made from good cypress lumber.

If anybody thinks they might want one send me a PM and I'll give you his info.

Daniel Carter 07-02-2019 02:15 PM

I have missed your humorous posts and stories, welcome back and keep posting.

Rick Losey 07-02-2019 02:16 PM

just be careful you don't kick it

nice piece of hand work

Destry L. Hoffard 07-02-2019 02:18 PM

Kicking it can handle, I think you could drag this behind a truck for a mile and not do it much hurt. This thing seems tuff.....

Rick Losey 07-02-2019 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destry L. Hoffard (Post 276707)
Kicking it can handle, I think you could drag this behind a truck for a mile and not do it much hunter. This thing seems tuff.....

still - don't kick a bucket - :rolleyes:

good to have you back on BTW

Destry L. Hoffard 07-02-2019 02:59 PM

Bahahhhaaa!!!! I completely missed the gag the 1st time.

Russ Jackson 07-02-2019 03:03 PM

Good looking Bucket / Seat ! I never cared much for a 5 Gallon Plastic Bucket either ,I switched to Tree stands ! First Wooden 2X4's nailed into trees then Store bought climbers now I am thinking about ladder stands because my 49TH was some time ago ,by the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY ! Never sat in a Duck Blind but would think this will be awful handy ! Welcome back to the Forum always Great to read your posts !

Ted Hicks 07-02-2019 03:52 PM

That is a fantastic looking bucket, never seen one like it. I agree that while 5 gallon plastic buckets are incredibly useful to have around, they are unsightly and certainly do not have the vintage look.

Swamp cypress is very durable wood, very resistant to rot and probably doesn't need any finish. But an oil, stain or paint finish is a good way to add your personal touch to it.

How about a couple of photos showing the inside of the bucket, the lid off, and how the lid stays on the bucket?

Welcome back!

CraigThompson 07-02-2019 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ Jackson (Post 276710)
Good looking Bucket / Seat ! I never cared much for a 5 Gallon Plastic Bucket either ,I switched to Tree stands ! First Wooden 2X4's nailed into trees then Store bought climbers now I am thinking about ladder stands because my 49TH was some time ago ,by the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY ! Never sat in a Duck Blind but would think this will be awful handy ! Welcome back to the Forum always Great to read your posts !

I’ve killed deer from what was put there as a duck blind . Was in Southern Maryland for the ML season and killed a pair of slicks from a well casing buried in the ground . I had a bag chair I was sitting on inside the casing . I prefer climbers up 30 feet or so but I was hunting with someone else so while in Rome . Oh yeah I’ll be 60 in two years and 25 days :eek:

Destry L. Hoffard 07-02-2019 06:30 PM

My plan is to paint it duck boat green and add a canvas pad to the top. Should be pretty comfortable.

I'll post a couple more pics here in a bit.