Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Foto Fridays (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   My summer hide away (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27489)

Richard Flanders 06-07-2019 01:16 AM

My summer hide away

1 Attachment(s)
Here's where I'll spend my summer this year. 250mi SE of Fairbanks, just inside the Canadian border and SE of Chicken if you look at a map. Still near freezing here at night but warm enough during the day that at least you don't need a down parka to stay warm. Nowhere to fish, unfortunately.

Garry L Gordon 06-07-2019 05:13 PM

The weather sounds great...and the scenery gorgeous. Starting to get humid here in the Mid-West, but it did not rain today. We've already had nearly a summer's worth of rain in the past several weeks...and it's not even summer yet(!)

Thanks for posting. I really enjoy seeing and reading about your part of the country.

John Dallas 06-07-2019 05:15 PM

Are you coming to Mich this summer?

charlie cleveland 06-07-2019 09:19 PM

you gona work in this area richard...you may find some more old interesting artifacts and scrap iron down there...looks like bear country to me...charlie

Richard Flanders 06-08-2019 12:29 AM

I'll be here, with two short breaks, until at least mid August or maybe Sept 1, so won't be coming to Michigan John. Yes Charlie, I'm working here. I'm logging drill core; we'll have at least 10,000 meters to log over the summer.

Summer ends here in a month!

Gary Carmichael Sr 06-15-2019 10:45 AM

Richard, A great place to work, No Starbucks around the corner there! You gotta love your job, Gary

Dean Romig 06-15-2019 11:12 AM

Nice digs Richard.

We should all be so lucky!

Work there must seem like play sometimes.

Richard Flanders 06-15-2019 02:09 PM

Unfortunately, about the only thing to love about this particular job at present is the pay. It can be excruciatingly difficult to work for inexperienced fledglings young enough to be my grandchildren and who have not yet figured out why we have ears that are electronically linked to a miraculous 3# mass of cholesterol between them. I think I need not say more.... back to the core tables.....

Stephen Hodges 06-15-2019 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Flanders (Post 275232)
I'll be here, with two short breaks, until at least mid August or maybe Sept 1, so won't be coming to Michigan John. Yes Charlie, I'm working here. I'm logging drill core; we'll have at least 10,000 meters to log over the summer.

Summer ends here in a month!

Richard, to the uniformed, what is logging drill core??

Richard Flanders 06-15-2019 07:49 PM

4 Attachment(s)
We have two of these drill rigs that extract a 2" cylinder/core of rock, sometimes for thousands of feet. Another senior geo and myself lay out and look at the core and figure out the lithologies, alteration and mineralization - Cu, Mo, Au here. We document this info in the computer in an excel like log sheet then get young geo techs - ours are all from the Colo school of mines in Golden - to scan the core with a spectrometer, a magnetic susceptibility instrument and an XRF gun then cut the core in half lengthwise for sampling - an awful job to put it mildly. We end up sending tons of rock in supersacks to a lab for processing and analysis.