Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Correct finish for steel butt plate & trigger guard on 'O'Grade Lifter (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26187)

Richard Strotjost 01-11-2019 01:41 AM

Correct finish for steel butt plate & trigger guard on 'O'Grade Lifter

Hello,
Can someone tell me what is the best finish to replicate the original finish on the steel butt plate of a 'O' Grade Plain Twist lifter gun made in 1876? I could only find one post from eight years ago, not sure if the consensus has changed.
And, what about the correct finish for the butt plate screws?
Also, the same question on the trigger guard and screws.
Thank you, Richard

Brian Dudley 01-11-2019 08:50 AM

Blued.

Dean Romig 01-11-2019 04:28 PM

Nitre blued or rust blued?

Richard Strotjost 01-12-2019 04:25 AM

Thank you, I was going to ask that also. Nitre or rust blue?

Frank Srebro 01-13-2019 08:55 AM

I don't know much about bluing as done by Parker but I ask if anyone has seen any genuine factory/period literature put out by Parker or any other American maker that refers to niter or nitre "bluing" on triggerguards?

Again I am asking about righteous factory/period literature from any American maker - not references in books, on internet sites, or by gunsmiths. Please let me/us know what you have in the way of factory literature. Thank you.

Chuck Heald 01-13-2019 09:32 AM

...or carbonia blue?

Unlikely that Parker used rust blue, IMO. In some writings of Turnbull, the rationale given for using something other than rust blue for the trim pieces was speed.

Frank Srebro 01-13-2019 10:04 AM

Respectfully please, no personal opinions or comments attributed to modern gunsmiths. Looking for righteous/period factory literature, specs etc that call out niter or nitre "bluing" on triggerguards.

Brian Dudley 01-13-2019 10:34 AM

The only parts rust blued on Parkers are the barrels.

Chuck Heald 01-13-2019 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Srebro (Post 262729)
Respectfully please, no personal opinions or comments attributed to modern gunsmiths. Looking for righteous/period factory literature, specs etc that call out niter or nitre "bluing" on triggerguards.

Frank,
with all due respect, that's not how a forum functions. It's a free and open discussion, driven by the members chosing to respond to the OP, within the rules of the forum. The OP is getting multiple experienced opinions and if the thread stays active long enough because members find it interesting enough to participate, someone may come up with the specific information you're interested in. Hopefully, you can see there's an advantage to continued member participation in a topic even if you aren't getting what you desire right away.:):)

Frank Srebro 01-13-2019 06:38 PM

:) .