Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Foto Fridays (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   It ain't hoar frost . . . (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32090)

Greg Baehman 01-07-2021 02:32 PM

It ain't hoar frost . . .

6 Attachment(s)
. . . but, rather it's a phenomenon called rime ice, leading to some breathtaking scenery. For the past several nights here in Northcentral Wisconsin and in many areas of the Great Lakes region we've experienced dense fog during the night and early morning hours. This has resulted in almost every branch and every little twig of every tree and virtually everything exposed to be covered in rime ice. It is exceedingly beautiful and a Winter Wonderland out here right now in the Upper Midwest.

Rime ice often happens in areas of dense fog, like we have seen the past few nights. It is when supercooled water drops (in liquid form) in the air come in contact with a surface below freezing. Those liquid water droplets then freeze on contact.

Hoar frost is similar to dew and happens on cold and clear nights. This is when water vapor (which is a gas) freezes onto a below-freezing surface. Because of this process, it actually skips the liquid phase in the deposition process.

Mike Koneski 01-07-2021 03:54 PM

I'm cold just looking at those pics!

Garry L Gordon 01-07-2021 05:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Greg, it's quite a sight. We've had the same weather phenomena the last several days. On the prairie, the wind is a constant, and you can see the evidence of the night's wind each morning.

Bob Kimble 01-07-2021 07:53 PM

The observatory on Mt Washington gets incredible rime ice.

Dean Romig 01-07-2021 09:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Very true Bob.

From our deer camp nearly fifty miles away from Mt Washington, in Vermont, with 10X binoculars we can see some weird shapes of rime ice formations in certain conditions.

This is NOT to out-do Greg’s and Garry’s beautiful pictures.

Garry L Gordon 01-08-2021 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 321279)
Very true Bob.

From our deer camp nearly fifty miles away from Mt Washington, in Vermont, with 10X binoculars we can see some weird shapes of rime ice formations in certain conditions.

This is NOT to out-do Greg’s and Garry’s beautiful pictures.

Yikes!

Matt Buckley 01-08-2021 03:54 PM

Greg,
Very beautiful picture of the Basilica at Holy Hill. I have an aunt who is a religious sister who is a member of Schoenstatt Sisters of Mary who are based only a few miles away from Holy Hill in Waukesha. She is currently working for her order at there world headquarters in Vallender, Germany.

Garry L Gordon 01-08-2021 03:58 PM

I love the way threads wander sometimes and the kinds of things I learn.

Phil Yearout 01-08-2021 07:38 PM

Those photos make me want to go watch Dr. Zhivago. Julie Christie was smokin' hot, by the way...

Mike Koneski 01-08-2021 09:36 PM

Why yes, yes she was!