Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Fat four. (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28291)

david ross 10-05-2019 08:44 AM

Fat four.

3 Attachment(s)
Hi All.:)
Went for the first pheasant hunt AM to day a walk round with the Parker vhe12.
Saw a lot of birds some are still on the small side but if your selective you can
get some fat ones. Its good to be out with the old Parker again roll on the next
hunt. Load game bore 28grns No 6 shot 3 cocks 1 hen.

All the best Dave.:bigbye:

charlie cleveland 10-05-2019 07:39 PM

dave thos phez will make some good eating...great hunt.....charlie

Harry Collins 10-06-2019 10:19 AM

David,

How long do you hang your birds and do you gut them before hanging?

In the mid 1980's I was broking bloodstock insurance in the City at Lloyd's and surrounding markets. I was staying with a friend in Hertford, Hertfordshire. He had a mallard hanging in the garage when I arrived and after a few weeks I threw it away in fear he was going to try and feed it to me as it was starting to move again.

John Dallas 10-06-2019 10:25 AM

"The Field", the British sporting magazine recently had an article as bbn out how long to hang game. They pointed out that in the 19th century they suggested hang game until you could hear the maggots crawling around inside the bird.

Harry Collins 10-06-2019 10:34 AM

I took The Field, but dropped my subscription after a medical issue. I rely on a friend to pass along his copy so I haven't seen the article. I guess I threw out the mallard just as it was ready to eat. Do you follow the 19th Century advice?

John Dallas 10-06-2019 11:44 AM

I hang my ducks about a week, assuming cool weather. The Field article did acknowledge that very ripe game was seved highly spiced

david ross 10-06-2019 03:27 PM

Harry.
I hang my birds if its cool or cold for one week guts in. I find for my taste its just right.
Dave.

Bob Kimble 10-06-2019 05:28 PM

Before WW2, my Dad worked at Blooming Grove Hunting and Fishing Club and when pheasants were harvested, they would nail them to the wood shed wall by the beek and when they dropped to the floor they were ready to prepare.

Kenny Graft 10-06-2019 07:20 PM

This info must be handed down from a cave wall. Why would you want to do this? Ripen game? Sounds like food poising to me. Get them guts out, rinse out cavity clean and place in saltwater overnight. We always gutted rabbits at the kill, but not the roosters. Shot up game should be gutted at the kill I would think. Woodcock cooked whole guts and all....no thanks.

Gary Carmichael Sr 10-07-2019 09:02 AM

I have heard of aging beef, but hanging a bird by the head till the body rots off? I don't know about that, Gary