Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   New User Introductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   A member for a few years, but my first post (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18705)

Clint Dunn 03-23-2016 12:19 AM

A member for a few years, but my first post

5 Attachment(s)
Hello, I've been a member for a few years now, but this is my first real post. About three or four years ago , I became caretaker to a very special family heirloom. This heirloom happens to be a parker grade 7 aahe which belonged to a famous ,yet distant relative named James J. Jeffries. He was an avid sportsman, but was and is known for his boxing career. That being said, he was the heavyweight champion of the world from 1899 to 1905, retiring undefeated ,only to come out of retirement in 1910 to fight jack Johnson in what was billed "the fight of the century". His nicknames were the boilermaker and the great white hope. There's plenty to be read about him on the Internet so I won't waste your time with those details.
His relation to me would be great great great uncle and many things of importance to to him remain in my family. .. This special parker being one of them. I'll post a few pictures for now and follow up with some more details later.
I just wanted to share a little bit about his and this guns history. I love this forum, it is an amazing source of information. Thank you for all your contributions.

Sincerely, Clint Dunn

Phillip Carr 03-23-2016 04:09 AM

Welcome Clint. What a great first post and introduction. To own any family Parker would be a wonderful honor. To own such a fine cased grade 7 so rich with history is unimaginable.
Congratulations and thank you for sharing.

Mills Morrison 03-23-2016 05:51 AM

Welcome Clint! What a special Parker

Dean Romig 03-23-2016 06:53 AM

Welcome Clint - how fortunate you are for that wonderful heirloom Parker to be in your care.

Craig Larter 03-23-2016 02:44 PM

Beautiful gun and it appears to have been enjoyed by your relatives. I hope you shoot it and maybe bring it to a PGCA event so we have an opportunity to see it. Thanks

charlie cleveland 03-23-2016 05:58 PM

you sir have a fine parker to take care of..and the history on this gun and the fellow who had it is great...thank you for shareing some of that history... charlie

Jim DiSpagno 03-23-2016 08:01 PM

Wonderful Clint great history and great gun.

Phillip Carr 03-23-2016 09:58 PM

Decided to Google James Jeffries. Plenty of great history on him. What's struck me was some of his fights went 20 rounds. This was in the day when they didn't have indoor airconditioned rings. Wonderful history. I hope he spent many years hunting with this gun. Any chance you have some family hunting pictures?

Dean H Hanson 03-23-2016 10:50 PM

Thank you for sharing not only a family treasure, but a story that can be linked through generations. Awesome...... simply awesome!!!

Mike Franzen 03-24-2016 05:15 AM

Great gun! Great story!