Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Stock loose from received (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40363)

David Champa 10-31-2023 03:34 PM

Stock loose from received

Just got back from a short hunt and noticed the stock on my 12 gauge Trojan is shockingly loose from the receiver. I know there isn’t a long bolt going through the entire stock behind the butt plate, was wondering what to check to see if I can tighten her back up. There’s no cracks or chips anywhere, seemed to have just loosened up.

Brian Dudley 10-31-2023 03:55 PM

Likely it is cracked internally.

Ian Civco 10-31-2023 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Dudley (Post 397772)

What would have caused that?

David Champa 10-31-2023 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Dudley (Post 397772)

That would be a bummer… would you suggest removing the stock (I’ve seen a few posts on how to do this) and inspect it?

Steve Huffman 10-31-2023 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Champa (Post 397789)
That would be a bummer… would you suggest removing the stock (I’ve seen a few posts on how to do this) and inspect it?

Before going the full route of removing the stock check the screws that go through the tang one on top and one under trigger guard maybe on has broken if you have never removed a stock from a Parker be very careful Check the parts breakdown on the homepage

David Champa 10-31-2023 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Huffman (Post 397795)
Before going the full route of removing the stock check the screws that go through the tang one on top and one under trigger guard maybe on has broken if you have never removed a stock from a Parker be very careful Check the parts breakdown on the homepage

Thanks! I checked those, the one under the trigger guard was slightly loose, I was able to tighten in 1/8-1/4 turn tighter. There’s still a bit of play, when holding the gun as you would when you’d shoot it, I and put a bit of opposing pressure on the forend and stock pistol grip it opens a bit of a gap next to the tang. I’m afraid I’ll have to take it apart to further inspect.

David Champa 10-31-2023 07:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture where the separation occurs.

Steve Huffman 10-31-2023 08:02 PM

Cracked I would say if there Sorry What shells were you using or could be just bad luck

David Champa 10-31-2023 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Huffman (Post 397812)
Cracked I would say if there Sorry What shells were you using or could be just bad luck

2” RST 7.5s.

Brian Dudley 10-31-2023 08:10 PM

Yes. The head is split. This happens from the gun being dropped, fallen on or bangs around. Normal Shooting will not usually cause it. It is something that is easily and invisibly repaired. Not by putting a bolt through the head like many in the past have done.