Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Sleeve my O Frame Hammer 16 (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33836)

William Davis 07-24-2021 12:17 PM

Sleeve my O Frame Hammer 16

My 16 G Hammer gun is a favorite shot it often with either RST 2 1/2 or reloaded low pressure. Recently had the barrels inspected carefully. Now think it’s not safe to shoot . Some pits that are worse than I thought.

Like to have it sleeved, probably have to go 20G. Will end up way too much in the gun but like it and willing to pay.

Any barrel shop recommendations ?

Willam

Garry L Gordon 07-24-2021 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Davis (Post 339169)
My 16 G Hammer gun is a favorite shot it often with either RST 2 1/2 or reloaded low pressure. Recently had the barrels inspected carefully. Now think it’s not safe to shoot . Some pits that are worse than I thought.

Like to have it sleeved, probably have to go 20G. Will end up way too much in the gun but like it and willing to pay.

Any barrel shop recommendations ?

Willam

Would smaller gauge Briley tubes work for your shooting? You’d keep the original barrels that way.

Brian Dudley 07-24-2021 01:13 PM

Your options are limited for actual sleeving. Merrington maybe and Aaron Little. Getting tubes is more of an issue these days.

Briley tubes would really be your best option. It will be cheaper and the outside of the barrels will still be original in appearance. And you would be 20g either way.

I understand your concern, but if you have been shooting the gun all along and have had no issue, why not just continue to do so?

Dean Romig 07-24-2021 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Dudley (Post 339177)
I understand your concern, but if you have been shooting the gun all along and have had no issue, why not just continue to do so?

I completely agree.

William Davis 07-24-2021 02:00 PM

Couple of things, have used Kurt before simple jobs & have been pleased, owned a Briley tubed gun too worked fine.

On the condition, one respected opinion the barrels are fine another recent opinion they aren’t. 3rd opinion may be either way. My grandson is doing well shooting clays with modern guns has taken to SxS lately. Mostly my GH 12 some with one of my Trojan 20s he wants to try a hammer gun. Different equation when the gun is going to be used by someone else.

Briley likely the best choice less expense no permanent alterations totaly safe. Thanks guys your comments worth consideration

William

Mills Morrison 07-24-2021 02:01 PM

I am getting Briley short tubes as we speak. Brian makes good points

Harold Lee Pickens 07-24-2021 03:30 PM

I dont think you can go from 16 to 20 with Briley tubes, you have to go to 28 ga--thats what they told me a year or so ago. Hope I'm wrong--I'd prefer 20 myself.

Mills Morrison 07-24-2021 05:42 PM

Harold is right. I am going from 16 to 28 and they told me 20 was not an option with 16. I prefer 28 anyway.

Brian Dudley 07-24-2021 06:18 PM

I was wondering that myself. That is good to know.

Bruce Hering 07-25-2021 12:57 AM

Just as a question but.... What ever happened to Teauge (sp) in England reaming old Damascus barrels an inserting a full length steel liner of the same gauge.... I have seen one such gun and you had to look hard to see the liner....

Just asking.