Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Engraving & Engravers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Quick Reference Guide to Parker Engravers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29164)

Dean Romig 01-23-2020 07:56 PM

Quick Reference Guide to Parker Engravers

1 Attachment(s)
In an effort to help Parker Collectors and those who appreciate the skill that goes into turning a blank steel palette into a work of art, I have put together this guide to the engravers who worked for Parker Brothers and later for Remington on their Parker Guns.

The levels of skill in the engraving department ranged from the chief or head engraver and the in-house engraving contractor to the senior engravers, the junior engravers and finally to the apprentice engravers.

The lower grades, OV, Grade 0, Grade 1, and Grade 2 were likely engraved by apprentice engravers and the scroll on the grade 1 and 2 was probably done by junior engravers. the finer scrollwork on grades 3, 4 and higher was likely done by senior engravers while the game scenes, dogs, and other animals was done by the chief or head engraver.

There is a great deal more to know about Parker engravers that can only be learned through reading the several books written about Parker guns, but especially The Parker Story.

The names listed next to the years of tenure are the chief engravers or department heads.

It is suggested that you copy and save the attached document and save it to your desktop so it will be within easy reach.

This listing isn't complete I'm sure, and as more info is discovered it can be added to this document.

Dean Romig 01-23-2020 08:36 PM

For those who may have copied the first Image I posted, I had neglected to list Robert P. Runge, son of Robert R. Runge, who began at Parker in 1934 and went with his father and the entire Runge family to Ilion, NY when Remington mover the Parker operation there in '37.

I have since made that addition in the document.

Garry L Gordon 01-23-2020 08:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dean, this is great information. Thanks for putting it together.

So, when I see the dogs engraved on DH grade guns from 1922, can I assume their by Runge? I've seen other engraving attributed to Anshsutz that does not look to be from the same hand as these dogs.

Dean Romig 01-23-2020 09:05 PM

Garry, I am certainly not the ‘last word’ on this subject but I have always believed that particular engraver to be Anschutz - but saying so might start an arguement.

One of the things that supports this opinion of mine is that we no longer see that style of dog, either setter or pointer, and some of the ducks and geese he engraved on floorplates of grade 4 guns, after very early in 1931...... Anschutz died on the job of a heart attack on December 31, 1930.

Dean Romig 01-24-2020 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon (Post 291443)
Dean, I've seen other engraving attributed to Anshsutz that does not look to be from the same hand as these dogs.

Garry, I’ve seen a lot of opinions expressed on examples of engraving supposedly done by Frederick Anschutz. I’m of the mind that dogs and birds engraved by Robert R. Runge are often attributed to Anschutz but we need to remember that Anchutz died in 1930.

Garry L Gordon 01-24-2020 12:49 PM

Thanks, Dean. My training as an artist/art historian and printmaker helps me distinguish stylistic similarities and differences, but without knowing for sure who did what, one can only see those traits. It would be nice to have several examples known to be from either engraver's Parker dogs to help identify the engraver, but I think your trained eye and knowledge is good enough for me.

Dean Romig 01-24-2020 01:54 PM

From page 224 of The Parker Story -

"Then in the 1920's dogs have a rather comic face and are all male. Probably the work of Fred Anschutz."

I have studied the engraved dogs referenced here and have found a number where the dogs' gender is not apparent, while most are decidedly male. This is another point that supports my opinion on Anschutz.

Garry L Gordon 01-24-2020 07:51 PM

They certainly look the same, and in my not nearly humble enough opinion, are not the best of the engraved of Parker dogs. The strong contour takes away from any suggestion of three dimensionality. I like the stylized earlier renditions. Dean, your supporting evidence convinces me -- thanks again.

keavin nelson 01-24-2020 10:22 PM

Thanks Dean!

Dean Romig 01-24-2020 11:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gustauve Young ~ 1866 - 1869 was known to have engraved the very best of the Triplett & Scott guns (three engraved examples known to date), later setting up shop in Hartford, Ct and then moving his shop to Springfield, MA.

His style of engraving was a "distinctive (sparse) Germanic scroll with a stippled background.”
See page 80 of Vol. 1 of The Parker Story for an example of his work on a Triplett & Scott.
He also engraved for Parker as well as other gunmakers between 1869 and 1883.

Below is an 1880 Grade 3, 16-gauge Parker with Parker-made Laminated barrels, ser. no. 18719, of mine that I believe was engraved by Gustauve Young.

Triple click on the image to enlarge.

Gerald McPherson 01-25-2020 11:03 AM

Awesome Dean. Is that gold on the trigger?

Dean Romig 01-25-2020 01:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
No, it's not gold - just the way the light is reflected. The triggers are nickel plated just like other Grade-3's.

Garry L Gordon 01-25-2020 02:12 PM

It's a gorgeous gun. So, would the original butt treatment have been a solid steel plate? I really like the barrel pattern (and not to mention the 16 gauge boring of them!).

Dean Romig 01-25-2020 03:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The original butt plate would have been a skeleton steel butt plate as shown on ser. no. 17453 in Fig. .8.50. from page 287 of Vol. 1 of The Parker Story, which predates my gun no. 18719.

18719 is the only known (heretofore unknown) Grade 3 Lifter in 16 gauge with 27-inch Laminated Steel barrels, as it is not shown in the tables at the end of Grade 3 guns on page 290 of The Parker Story.

Here is the "rubber butt plate" designed by Parker Bros. to resemble the skeleton butt plate.

Chuck Bishop 01-25-2020 05:52 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Dean, here are pictures of my D lifter, 17520, just a little earlier than yours. Looks like the same engraver to me but your engraving looks a little better. Does yours have a pointer on the trigger guard and a woodcock on the bottom of the receiver? It has a skeleton butt plate, ball grip, and Damascus barrels. Don't know why the barrels look browned in the photos but they are black and white but faded.

Dean Romig 01-25-2020 07:26 PM

6 Attachment(s)
I agree Chuck, they both appear to have been engraved by the same artist. The similarities are just too close to be otherwise.

Yours however, is in nicer condition.

Corresponding pictures of mine...

Garry L Gordon 01-25-2020 07:34 PM

Gentlemen, I love both of these guns. I'm not sure I understand why someone would not want a skeleton steel butt plate, but I like the alternative...and the skeleton steel butt plate. Thanks for sharing the photos...and making me wish I had a similar gun...:crying:

Jeff Kuss 01-25-2020 07:44 PM

4 Attachment(s)
My grade 2 16 ga appears to have some similar engraving also.

Dean Romig 01-25-2020 08:58 PM

Looks like yours was engraved by the same hand to me Jeff. It looks like yours also has Laminated Steel barrels too... does it?

Jeff Kuss 01-25-2020 09:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yes, it has laminated barrels. It is between your gun and Chuck's. 17781

Jay Oliver 01-25-2020 09:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dean, that engraver list is a great resource...thank you!

Here is #17633 with similar engraving on the side plates(as Jeff's gun). A 12 gauge with 32" barrels. One of my "go to" Parkers...

Dean Romig 01-25-2020 09:22 PM

Very nice Jay.

Interesting that William Avery was the chief engraver in that period (1877 - 1887) and that Harry Gough who had been an engraving contractor in England came to work at Parker Bros. in 1883, so we know they weren't engraved by Gough.

I would really like to see examples known to have been engraved by Avery.

Dean Romig 01-25-2020 09:42 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Here is another of mine from that same period, No. 14056 , a Grade-3 12 gauge also with Parker-made Laminated Steel barrels.

Dean Romig 01-26-2020 09:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Garry - this is what I made reference to on page 1 of this thread. The engraver who engraved the two dogs on this DH appears to have been the same that did the one you showed us earlier. I think everyone will agree that these two dogs are decidedly male.

And again, I believe the engraver to have been Frederick W. Anschutz.

Garry L Gordon 01-26-2020 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 291679)
Garry - this is what I made reference to on page 1 of this thread. The engraver who engraved the two dogs on this DH appears to have been the same that did the one you showed us earlier. I think everyone will agree that these two dogs are decidedly male.

And again, I believe the engraver to have been Frederick W. Anschutz.

Dean, I agree they certainly appear to be from the same hand. The treatment of the eyes and the dominant (and a bit awkward) contour that flattens the form is pretty distinctive. Is it likely that the same engraver would execute the scroll, or do you suppose that was done by an apprentice/lesser status engraver?

Dean Romig 01-26-2020 10:15 PM

Garry, it is the opinion of the learned authors of TPS that the scroll, depending on the grade of the gun and the level of expertise required for the grade, that junior or senior engravers did that work.

Craig Larter 02-10-2020 06:55 PM

I have tried to be a student of Parker Engraving since I purchased my first Parker only a few years back a CH from about 1905. I my opinion the best engraving period for my taste is in the 160xx-180xxx era. The engraving is deeply cut and the dogs and game birds are well done for a factory made product. My second favorite period is the beginning of the hammerless guns up until about 1900. They are very lightly cut but with more artistic freedom given to the engravers--maybe because they were independent contractors during this period.

Dean Romig 05-21-2021 07:35 PM

To The Top - For a Friend