Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Engraving & Engravers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Quick Reference Guide to Parker Engravers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29164)

Jay Oliver 01-25-2020 08:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dean, that engraver list is a great resource...thank you!

Here is #17633 with similar engraving on the side plates(as Jeff's gun). A 12 gauge with 32" barrels. One of my "go to" Parkers...

Dean Romig 01-25-2020 08:22 PM

Very nice Jay.

Interesting that William Avery was the chief engraver in that period (1877 - 1887) and that Harry Gough who had been an engraving contractor in England came to work at Parker Bros. in 1883, so we know they weren't engraved by Gough.

I would really like to see examples known to have been engraved by Avery.

Dean Romig 01-25-2020 08:42 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Here is another of mine from that same period, No. 14056 , a Grade-3 12 gauge also with Parker-made Laminated Steel barrels.

Dean Romig 01-26-2020 08:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Garry - this is what I made reference to on page 1 of this thread. The engraver who engraved the two dogs on this DH appears to have been the same that did the one you showed us earlier. I think everyone will agree that these two dogs are decidedly male.

And again, I believe the engraver to have been Frederick W. Anschutz.

Garry L Gordon 01-26-2020 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 291679)
Garry - this is what I made reference to on page 1 of this thread. The engraver who engraved the two dogs on this DH appears to have been the same that did the one you showed us earlier. I think everyone will agree that these two dogs are decidedly male.

And again, I believe the engraver to have been Frederick W. Anschutz.

Dean, I agree they certainly appear to be from the same hand. The treatment of the eyes and the dominant (and a bit awkward) contour that flattens the form is pretty distinctive. Is it likely that the same engraver would execute the scroll, or do you suppose that was done by an apprentice/lesser status engraver?

Dean Romig 01-26-2020 09:15 PM

Garry, it is the opinion of the learned authors of TPS that the scroll, depending on the grade of the gun and the level of expertise required for the grade, that junior or senior engravers did that work.

Craig Larter 02-10-2020 05:55 PM

I have tried to be a student of Parker Engraving since I purchased my first Parker only a few years back a CH from about 1905. I my opinion the best engraving period for my taste is in the 160xx-180xxx era. The engraving is deeply cut and the dogs and game birds are well done for a factory made product. My second favorite period is the beginning of the hammerless guns up until about 1900. They are very lightly cut but with more artistic freedom given to the engravers--maybe because they were independent contractors during this period.

Dean Romig 05-21-2021 06:35 PM

To The Top - For a Friend