Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Foto Fridays (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   It's Cranemania around here! (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21513)

Greg Baehman 05-16-2017 12:33 PM

It's Cranemania around here!

1 Attachment(s)
A pair of Sandhill Cranes have successfully nested in our backyard for the past six or seven years. This year's nest produced two eggs with both eggs hatching -- which, of course, doesn't always happen. The neighborhood is abuzz with excitement. The next few weeks are critical as the baby Sandhills will be swimming with sharks.

Greg Baehman 05-19-2017 06:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Three days older and a little bolder.

Greg Baehman 05-28-2017 07:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They're growing like weeds. In the past nine days the chicks legs appear to have grown about 3" in length.

Greg Baehman 06-20-2017 02:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They're still growing like weeds!

Phillip Carr 06-20-2017 04:02 PM

Awesome !!!!

Greg Baehman 07-04-2017 02:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Our Sandhill Crane chicks have now reached about 7/8 of their full-grown adult size. One can assume they'll soon be learning to fly. They are keeping the neighborhood amused and entertained . . . yesterday they were waiting at our neighbor across the street's back patio door just after daybreak begging for corn, today it was our turn. Most unfortunately, one of the chicks somehow lost its right eye, but does seem to be managing . . .

Charles Shelton 07-04-2017 07:46 PM

Very cool.
Take good care of them and do not let them fly to Texas. At least not to the Texas Panhandle as there is a hotbed of Sandhill crane shooting there - and they are good eating!

Daniel G Rainey 07-05-2017 02:08 PM

Thanks for the update. They are growing and seem to be doing well.

Greg Baehman 08-03-2017 01:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After early morning showers three quarters of our Sandhill Crane family stopped by the front yard for a drink. We haven't seen the blind-in-one-eye baby for several days now. We fear for her fate.

Richard Flanders 08-04-2017 02:23 AM

Very cool to watch them grow up like you have. Too bad about the blinded one. I'm looking forward to a good crowd of ruffies in the yard this winter. Folks are reporting seeing family groups around the neighborhood but they haven't visited me yet. Hopefully when the snow flies. Last year I had 11 of them in the yard at this time.

John Walters 08-09-2017 08:52 PM

I understand they are legal to hunt in Canada and considered excellent eating. The meat is redish and they call it ribeye in the sky. I live in Florida they are protected here and we have lots of them walking around like they own the place. I enjoy watching them with the younger ones the bad part is they walk across busy streets with out fear thankfully the drivers slow down or stop for them. Most of the time they just walk but when they fly it is a thing of beauty.

Greg Baehman 04-07-2018 09:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Our neighborhood pair of nesting Sandhill Cranes are back for their 8th consecutive year. There's still a bunch of snow on the ground and it got down to 4 above last night.

You've got to wonder what this Sandhill might be thinkin'?

Gary Laudermilch 04-07-2018 09:48 PM

I pretty much know what he/she is thinking, "What the ****". The very same thing many of us are thinking.

Greg Baehman 05-19-2018 09:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This, the 8th consecutive year of successfully nesting, our neighborhood family of Sandhill Cranes has produced just one offspring this year. These photos, taken just moments ago, show the proud parents taking their little baby out for a stroll while others look on in amazement:

Greg Baehman 06-09-2018 03:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The talk of the neighborhood is growing like a weed.

Rick Losey 06-10-2018 10:59 AM

Greg- these updates are great - thank you

John Walters 06-15-2018 03:52 AM

They hunt them in Canada the meat is said to be red and very good. They call them rib eye in the sky. We have lots of them here in Florida they walk right into traffic not to smart but the people know them and are careful. Just could not see shooting them but pass shooting them flying high is at least sporting and fair to the Cranes.

Greg Baehman 06-15-2018 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Walters (Post 246155)
~ ~ snip ~ ~ Just could not see shooting them but pass shooting them flying high is at least sporting and fair to the Cranes.

I wonder what the Cranes would think about that?

Greg Baehman 07-04-2018 04:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mr. & Mrs. Sandhill, ever watchful of their pride and joy, who's now nearly all feathered out, stops for a cool drink on a sweltering hot 4th of July afternoon. Unbeknownst to them and what is sure to sound like bombs going off, takes place later on tonight.

Greg Baehman 07-24-2018 06:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The cranes and turkeys are seeking some shade from the intense heat of the sun, while the turkeys await their turn for a cool drink of fresh cold water just added to the bird bath. The cranes are showing their dominance over the turkeys by temporarily monopolizing the bird bath.

Sara LeFever 07-24-2018 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Baehman (Post 249076)
The cranes are showing their dominance over the turkeys by temporarily monopolizing the bird bath.

Love these photos! Do the cranes usually rule over the turkeys?

Sara

Greg Baehman 07-25-2018 01:39 PM

You know Sara, perhaps dominance isn't the correct term to use, maybe respect would be a better description. If and when the turkeys get to the food and/or water first and then the cranes saunter in, the turkeys will back off and give the cranes some room. The cranes are really meek, mild and quite elegant creatures, perhaps it's their stiletto looking beaks that brings the respect . . . who knows?

Russell E. Cleary 07-30-2018 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Baehman (Post 249154)
The cranes are really meek, mild and quite elegant creatures, perhaps it's their stiletto looking beaks that brings the respect . . . who knows?

"Walk softly and carry a big stick" -- T. R.

Todd Poer 07-30-2018 10:56 PM

I think turkey's in general have an inferiority complex. Even as young birds they get picked on by owls, hawks and even more dominant turkey's. Most of the time they are very quiet and secretive birds, but then springtime hits and that randy gobbler thinks he is Mike Tyson in his prime.

Greg Baehman 08-29-2018 06:40 PM

Sad, sad news

2 Attachment(s)
A neighbor that lives across the street from us has reported that our baby crane is dead, apparently struck by a vehicle just this morning up the block and around the corner. It's really a pity as the baby crane had reached adult size and was taking short flights in preparation of its long journey south for the winter. The baby crane's parents are obviously devastated and the entire neighborhood is teary-eyed.

RIP Baby Crane.

Sara LeFever 08-29-2018 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Baehman (Post 252018)
A neighbor that lives across the street from us has reported that our baby crane is dead, apparently struck by a vehicle just this morning up the block and around the corner. It's really a pity as the baby crane had reached adult size and was taking short flights in preparation of its long journey south for the winter. The baby crane's parents are obviously devastated and the entire neighborhood is teary-eyed.

RIP Baby Crane.

Aw, no! So sorry to hear that! :(

Sara

Greg Baehman 07-10-2019 05:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
With the same degree of predictability as the swallows of Capistrano, our pair of Sandhill Cranes returned once again to their nesting grounds here in northcentral Wisconsin on March 15th. This marks the 9th consecutive year of bringing their brand of excitement to our neighborhood. But alas, given this relatively late date, it appears their first attempt of nesting was unsuccessful as we usually see one or two fledglings by early to mid-May. We feared the worst. That is, until today July 10th, when momma and papa brought Junior through our backyard. Perhaps the 1st nesting failed, but the 2nd was definitely a success!

Greg Baehman 08-08-2019 12:07 PM

R.I.P. Baby Crane

1 Attachment(s)
The Neighborhood was Quiet as Word Arrived

It was quiet in the neighborhood the first Wednesday of August. The Chickadee did not peep, nor the Bluejay scorn. For they heard from the Owl who also told the Crow, that he had heard from the Squirrel who was with the Rabbit when the Chipmunk said that the Buck said that the Turkey heard ... that the Baby Crane had died.

Michael Moffa 08-09-2019 10:12 PM

Alabama has instituted a Sandhill Crane season for 400 hunters on a state wide draw for this fall. 1200 birds are the total to be harvested. State numbers had reached 15K birds. Last time a season had been held was 1913. Allowed area to shoot is in the north above I20.

Greg Baehman 05-20-2020 05:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As expected our nesting pair of Sandhill Cranes returned to our neighborhood for the 10th consecutive year arriving the middle of March. They soon set up shop and their nesting this year has produced two chicks. These chicks will be swimming with sharks for the next several months and face a very steep uphill battle in order to make it through to their unknown to them Southern wintering grounds. The last three nestings this pair of Sandhills produced never made it. We've got our fingers crossed that these little guys will beat the odds and make it through!

Here's a pic, taken just moments ago, of Mama and Papa with their pride and joy.

charlie cleveland 05-20-2020 11:37 PM

I have really enjoyed the clips of these birds but was really saddened by the loss of the little one....charlie

Greg Baehman 06-08-2020 12:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The baby Sandhills have made it through their first month of existence unscathed and are growing rapidly. I have noticed the adults are very protective of their offspring -- especially with deer. They will actually run after, chase and literally peck at the heads of the deer with their dagger-like beaks if the deer get too close. A keen observer will notice the photo bomber in the attached pic allowing plenty of respect that the adult Sandhills demand.

Michael Moffa 07-31-2020 08:38 PM

Any more word on the little darlings?

Dean Romig 07-31-2020 10:22 PM

An adult sandhill crane flew over the lake here in Maine at about 700-800 feet two days ago. It circled a couple of times then continued north. I had never seen one in Maine before (or any other New England state besides MA) and had to rub my eyes and pinch myself, but it was the real deal.

Greg Baehman 08-01-2020 05:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Moffa (Post 308399)
Any more word on the little darlings?

The baby cranes appear to have done very well in dodging the bullets lurking in their world. This is very good news compared to the dismal success of the last several nestings. The mature adults have taught these two young colts how to fly and how to hunt for food on their own. They are raising Cain with the chipmunks, mice, grass snakes, earthworms and anything else they find palatable. Lately they've found whole kernel corn to be quite delectable and can be fed by hand. Here's a couple of pics taken just today, the last one momma and her two babies are gobbling up corn from an ice cream pail that I'm holding while pappa stands guard just out of view of the camera.

Amazing creatures. Why would anyone want to shoot one?

Greg Baehman 05-14-2021 05:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
With the same predictability as the Swallows of Capistrano our nesting pair of Sandhill Cranes arrived back from their Wintering grounds in the South to their breeding grounds here in Northcentral Wisconsin on March 15th -- not about March 15th, but exactly on March 15th, each and every year. This mark's the 11th consecutive year of bringing their brand of excitement to our neighborhood...and with this same degree of predictability they are parading their little offspring through the neighborhood in mid-May of every year. Here's our first sight of them today, May 14th:

Dean Romig 05-14-2021 05:28 PM

Ain’t Nature Grand?

Wonderful news!!

Gary Laudermilch 05-14-2021 06:01 PM

I do enjoy and look forward to this Sandhill journey every year. Thanks

john pulis 05-15-2021 08:02 AM

Nice thread.

Dean Romig 05-15-2021 08:25 AM

Infection probably.