Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   New User Introductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New Member from Virginia (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27891)

James Pierce 08-09-2019 03:42 PM

New Member from Virginia

I inherited a Parker Double Barrel 12 Ga Ser#113153 from my father who passed away in 1989. He loved this shotgun and I want to make it beautiful again. It is in bad need of a new stock and be checked out for serviceability. I would appreciate any suggestions for having this work done.

Randy G Roberts 08-09-2019 03:58 PM

Welcome aboard James. The gun you referenced appears to be a VH 12 Ga with 30" barrels, the most common of all Parkers. It would be most helpful if you could post some pics which would assist the more knowledgeable folks on the site is offering you advice.

James Pierce 08-10-2019 10:03 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks Randy. Pictures are being posted. I hope they can help. Attachment 75176

Attachment 75177

Attachment 75178

Attachment 75179

Alan Phillips 08-10-2019 11:49 AM

VH 12 gauge

The cost of restoring this Parker would greatly exceed the ultimate value of the gun. That said there are members on this site that can help you with as much as you wish to do as far as making it "beautiful".

James Pierce 08-10-2019 04:31 PM

Thanks, Alan. I think I could be happy with just getting a new stock on the shotgun. My father used this gun to hunt for many years and it means a lot to me.

Randy G Roberts 08-10-2019 09:29 PM

Alan is right, you are fighting a losing financial battle in a big way with that gun. The wood boys out there today can do wonders with repairs. You might consider having one of them look at it and see what it would cost to repair the stock. If the rest of the gun is sound mechanically you may end up with a much less expensive shooter that still has your father's original stock on it. Just a thought.

Dean Romig 08-10-2019 09:55 PM

The stock has already been replaced by someone not very adept at stockmaking. A new, well done stock made to look as original as possible would be a poor investment but would allow Mr. Pierce to continue to shoot it with pride.

Randy G Roberts 08-10-2019 10:24 PM

True Dean. But it is his Father's which was my point.

James Pierce 08-11-2019 08:50 AM

Thanks everyone for the comments. Yes, the gun is sentimental for me and I would just like to have it in working order and look good.

Garth Gustafson 08-11-2019 11:14 AM

James, I agree restocking this gun doesn’t make financial sense from an investment perspective. You’re probably looking at $2,500 for a “Parker correct” stock job which is far more than the gun is worth. If the stock can be repaired, the cost is far less. And there could be other issues as well. But many of us would happily pay that price to save and be able to shoot a gun that meant so much to our dad, and to you. Don’t give up on that gun just yet. Get it inspected by a reputable gunsmith/stocker and then make your decision.

Need a recommendation? Go to the PGCA home page and on the left margin click on “Parker FAQ”. Then select “Need a gunsmith” for recommendations and reviews. Good luck and let us know how it goes.