Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What makes a great Parker Collection in your mind? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27604)

Craig Larter 06-24-2019 07:07 PM

What makes a great Parker Collection in your mind?

I am always interested in what others consider a great Parker collection. We are all focused on different segments of the Parker collecting world based upon our background collecting, shooting and hunting interests. Many from the more urban areas are focused on competitive guns like single barrel trap guns and double pigeon/trap guns. Those from upland rich areas are more focused on small bores, waterfowl hunters are crazy for heavy duck guns. Some just what to own mint or very high condition examples with no desire to use them. How about you, has your background influenced your collecting interests???????
I started my hunting life as a waterfowl hunter but time and resources have allowed me to hunt upland birds all over the western hemisphere. So I'm focused on waterfowl guns but have a sprinkling of small bores. I have a few high condition examples I will not shoot, but most of my guns are for use as intended. My collection of Parkers is post 1893 and pre 1916, the golden age of duck hunting. The range of my collection is from a 15 pound 36" D hammer 10ga to a 30" 20 gauge straight grip. My preference is for damascus examples, I find the patterns outstanding artwork!
So I feel a great collection of Parkers for me to be a wide range of guns used during the golden era of waterfowl hunting from different sections of the country. Like most of you I always have my ear to the ground looking for the next gem. What say you??

Rich Anderson 06-24-2019 07:46 PM

I'm a sucker for a straight grip small bore. I don't target any particular barrel length as mine go from 26-32. I have a couple of vent rib gun two 20's (one is a VHE skeet) and a two barrel 16. Grades go from VHE to BHE so no particular direction there either. I shoot all my guns no safe queens.

I guess at the end of the day I "collect" and shoot straight grip small bores.

CraigThompson 06-24-2019 07:47 PM

A complete set of A-1 specials (if they had made it in 410) I think would be quite nice . But the amount of scheckels required for that would be a bit overwhelming to say the least . I suppose you could say I’m drawn to guns with open quail/grouse chokes especially 26 or 28 inch stuff , but then I find myself drawn to the 10 gauge in most configurations . But then I also like 10’s and 12’s with 30 to whatever inch barrels . I suppose for me sometimes it just depends on what day it is and which way the winds blowing !

Daryl Corona 06-24-2019 08:09 PM

Whether they be Parkers, Foxes, or now Lefevers my idea of a collection is one of guns that caught my fancy at the time. I started out way back when with smallbore (20,28) Parkers, then 32" straight grip guns. The only criteria they must have are plenty of choke, lots of condition and shootable dimensions.

Mills Morrison 06-24-2019 08:38 PM

It helps to have goals and standards even if you venture out of those standards sometimes. I have been trying to get a good cross section of G grades. This year I am working on small bores, which means 16, 20 and 28 gauges as well as lighter 12s.

Randy G Roberts 06-24-2019 09:19 PM

For me it's those long barrels. I really don't get too interested until we hit 32" in length. The exception would be the 410 and 28's if I would ever come across one of those, a 30-inch 28 would really be nice. I have accumulated a modest collection that suits my needs for the time being. As of now I am seeking long-barreled guns with condition that I might be able to obtain and possibly upgrade my collection. One thing about staying focused on a particular version or configuration is that it tends to keep me within my budgets. Most of the time. Quite a few of these are 12-gauge guns. Since I like to shoot that fits into my needs quite nicely. I don't mind shooting them and I am not afraid to shoot any of them without regard to their condition. I take care of them and I have found that I am able to maintain their condition. Bear in mind that I am talking about a round or two of Sporting Clays or skeet. I am not going to take any of my doubles out into the rain. I am admittedly a fair-weather shooter.

Garry L Gordon 06-24-2019 10:23 PM

I'm probably like many others in that my tastes and desires have changed some over time and with my ability to acquire (afford) guns. However, I'm an upland hunter, and almost all of the guns I've collected have been with upland birds in mind (but I do have some waterfowl and turkey guns). I prefer 16s to any other gauge; love Damascus, twist (and especially Bernard steel) barrels. I prefer straight/splinter guns with two triggers. I do not own, and, at the risk of heresy, would not buy, a single trigger gun, one with a ventilated rib, or a beavertail forend (hey, it saves me a lot of money not to buy guns with those features that are "desirable" to many others!).

I've set some specific goals for my collecting, and have, I'm sure like many others, become more selective where in the past I used to buy good examples of a wider range of guns. But I like a gun that "speaks" to me. Generally, that would be a small bore, two trigger, straight/splinter gun on the lighter side (but well balanced). I own more 16s than any other gauge. A good collection to me would include guns with these features.

In the end, I'm a hunter(shooter)/collector. I like the nostalgia of guns from the past, and feel more connected to that past when I use them as they were intended to be used.

Matthew Hanson 06-24-2019 10:42 PM

I am all in on any G grade 28 inch Damascus. The smaller the frame the better. I currently have a 16 zero frame and a 12 ga two frame. How can you not resist the hammer 16 Damascus? Your first Parker is always your favorite Parker no matter what the grade or condition. My VH is going to be free to someone when I am no longer hunting on this earth, but not until then.

davidboyles 06-24-2019 11:50 PM

Parker collection

I'm a relative beginner but 2 guns I acquired over the past few years have really got my attention. I wrote about them in the PP and they are both DHE's a 16 and 20. Both have 30" barrels and I sit there and admire them as well as take them on hunts from everything from quail to doves to turkeys. It is really a matter of pride in ownership and warm feeling about how I was able to obtain one of them through a particular west coast friend and the other from a Texas dealer I was able to out-trade some surplus guns to make the deal happen. As my hunting friend Charlie Parker would say " It's All Good" This Parker Association has become a new list of friends with common interests I am proud to be associated with today. My little VHE 28 is also in the DHE family of goodies I was lucky to acquire and stands ready to hit the field. It too has bagged doves, quail and this year one of the biggest gobblers I have ever taken. Such a versatile little gun!! Can you see me beaming!

Brett Hoop 06-25-2019 12:20 AM

I collect memories with Parker Bros. shotguns. I have a rather humble mixed group all 0 frames, with the lone exception a GH 1 frame 12 Damascus. A mix, that as it stands, are half straight and half capped butt stocks. All have double triggers, and splinters,because those features are the best choice for me. I never want for a better gun in the Aspen thickets or Switch grass. I like to shoot my bird guns when I do shoot sporting clays, for me it is practice for the field and much about having a good time with some wonderful friends I have collected through the mutual interest in the Parker gun.