Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Help with identification of Parker bros 10ga (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29666)

Kevin Quinn 03-15-2020 10:55 AM

Help with identification of Parker bros 10ga

2 Attachment(s)
I have what I believe to be a 1878 Parker bros lifter action double barrel plain twist 10 ga. I think the barrel length is approximately 30" . It has a number 2 frame size with a (p) grade. Just trying figure it worth and if I can safely shoot it with hand loads of BP thanks.

Jay Gardner 03-15-2020 11:10 AM

No one can even begin to answer your questions without seeing photos of the frame, the stock, the barrels, and the serial number. Thanks

Kevin Quinn 03-15-2020 11:25 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I’m having trouble uploading my photos on the thread sorry I’ll try again
I think the pictures will be on this one. The serial number is 12545

Matt Buckley 03-15-2020 04:13 PM

What are the condition of the bores. If it is not to pitted it should be safe with black powder loads but it is good practice to have a gunsmith who is familiar with twist/Damascus barrels to inspect the barrels. It is always a good idea to have the minimum wall thickness of the barrels measured. At that point is you have plenty of thickness on the barrels you may decide to shoot low pressure smokeless loads as well.

Steve Huffman 03-15-2020 04:17 PM

Looks to had alot of heat applied to the barrel hook

Kevin Quinn 03-15-2020 08:28 PM

There is pitting throughout both barrels, I took it to my gunsmith to have him look everything over. I just wanted the opinion of this community because you all have a passion for these historic shotguns thanks I appreciate your input.

Harry Collins 03-16-2020 07:32 AM

Kevin,

I'm trying to wrap my head around the corrosion on the barrel flats. Is the receiver in the same condition? Was the gun stored with the barrels off the gun? I'll shoot most any Parker, but I hesitate recommending shooting this one on what I see.

Kindest, Harry

Jerry Harlow 03-16-2020 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Huffman (Post 296573)
Looks to had alot of heat applied to the barrel hook

Someone had a hard time removing the screw that holds the shell lifter out of the barrels. There is a hex-head screw in there now, from the enlarged photo.

Kevin Quinn 03-16-2020 08:38 AM

I'm not sure how it was stored I just purchased it a week ago, and the receiver is in better shape than the barrel flats.

Kevin Quinn 03-16-2020 08:54 AM

Is there no way to restore the barrels corrosion? I wish I had taken more pictures before I dropped it off at my smith. As long as the barrel thickness is above 20 thousand, and the pitting within the barrels isn't deep it should safe to shoot right?