Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Comb risers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26461)

Phil Yearout 02-07-2019 07:54 PM

Comb risers

You can tell when you're bored out of your mind :rolleyes: . I had some oral surgery which has laid me kinda low so I've been rambling around the house looking for low impact things to do. I have a couple guns with a bit too much DAH and find I don't shoot them very well so I've been trying various comb risers. They do help. Tonight I threw them on the postage scale and found...

The Beretta gel-tek I just got and which I understand a lot of fellas use weighs 3.66 oz. When you think of it that's almost a quarter pound which to some folks would be a decider in whether or not to buy the gun!

The lace on leather one which to some might be more appropriate on a vintage shot gun weighs nearly the same - 3.65 oz.

The neoprene/Velcro one - not the coolest looking by far - weighs a mere 1.56 oz.

So there. You can add that to the other useless info you've got stashed away :).

https://i.imgur.com/WmZLvswl.jpg

Dean Romig 02-07-2019 08:43 PM

You could always tape the appropriate weight in wheel weights to the bottom of your barrels so it would balance better... :whistle:

Gary Laudermilch 02-07-2019 09:16 PM

The problem I have with comb risers is that they not only raise the comb but also add cast. I have never liked them or done well with them. No substitute for a stock that fits well.

davidboyles 02-07-2019 10:04 PM

Comb risers

Got to admit for $20 the RST Velcro one works pretty good and is easy to use. My compliant is it moves around sometimes in the heat of a dove battle!!! Nothing's perfect and I refuse to hack up a stock and add leather risers like some friends have done. UGH

Mike Poindexter 02-08-2019 11:42 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's another option: Meadow Industries Quick-Stik Soft Comb. Once on, they are a pain to remove, so make sure how much rise you want before applying. You can tape on cardboard strips with masking tape to figure that out. Comes in 1/16 and 1/8 inch thicknesses.

Joe Graziano 02-08-2019 05:10 PM

I bought a neoprene riser with a stretchy strap and Velcro. Its fantastic in my living room. On the range attached to my straight grip Bernardelli, it slides forward after every shot and drives me crazy. I finally took it off and shoot the gun as is. I was using it more because the comb feels narrow, which I guess it is compared to my Parkers.

Joe Graziano 02-08-2019 05:17 PM

Mike, thanks for the link to Meadow Industries. I like the different pad offerings. The packaging is pretty funny also. Looks like it was developed in 1962.

Phil Yearout 02-08-2019 07:09 PM

Mike, that Meadow Industries riser looks like the same concept as the Beretta. I like the idea of the Beretta better as it's translucent and therefore (maybe) less obtrusive. BUT, it does say Beretta which I'm not crazy about :nono:. I have a couple but have yet to put one on a stock.

Bill Murphy 02-08-2019 08:37 PM

I had a Jostam leather lace on comb riser on my 28 gauge from the time I was 14 years old until about five years ago when I realized that the extra meat on my cheeks made the gun fit just fine. The Jostam item is still ready for use on another gun. I like the Beretta pad, but have never bought one.

Mike Poindexter 02-09-2019 12:43 AM

I had the opportunity to handle a gun with the Beretta riser last year. I didnt like it because it was too jelly-like, and didnt stick well to the stock. As I recall, it was about 3/16 of an inch thick. The Meadow pad is smaller, thinner, made of a naugahyde like material that has more cushion than leather, but actually looks like dark leather. Also, it goes on with a self adhesive backing that while not permanent, is so tenacious that it is very difficult to remove once on. That said, the peel off backing is cut so that you can only utilize the outer 1 inch of adhesive if you want, and leave the center portion unstuck. I probably should have tried that method instead of going all out.