Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Who does english oil finishes? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23840)

Kurt Sauers 04-01-2018 12:12 PM

Who does english oil finishes?

Any suggestions on who does a traditional english oil finish to get the reddish color i like so much?

Bob Jurewicz 04-01-2018 01:21 PM

Kurt,
I normally use 10-40 High Detergent for that kind of work.
I'll do it for you.
Payback time!
Bob Jurewicz

edgarspencer 04-01-2018 01:28 PM

Good one, Bob!

Kurt, the oils, by themselves won't give you the reds. Stockmakers won't tell you this, but get a bottle of Fiebings dark brown leather stain. That will give you the red you're after. Get an old busted stock to test it on. You can put it on right over a few coats of cured oil. Wear latex gloves!!!

John Campbell 04-01-2018 03:44 PM

With all due respect to Edgar: Please don't use leather stain! If you can manage it, get a bottle of Pilkingtons English Red stain from Brownells. IF you're doing things yourself. Otherwise, I'd contact Chris Dawe on this board. He can do English red colour and the proper oil finish.

Kurt Sauers 04-01-2018 03:47 PM

Vh

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Jurewicz (Post 239633)
Kurt,
I normally use 10-40 High Detergent for that kind of work.
I'll do it for you.
Payback time!
Bob Jurewicz

Didn't you do that on the 16ga you sold me?

edgarspencer 04-01-2018 04:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Campbell (Post 239643)
With all due respect to Edgar: Please don't use leather stain! If you can manage it, get a bottle of Pilkingtons English Red stain from Brownells. IF you're doing things yourself. Otherwise, I'd contact Chris Dawe on this board. He can do English red colour and the proper oil finish.

As a rule, I respect most everything you say, so I won't mention what well known stockmaker told me about Fiebings. These first two pictures show the color I was after, after fiebings. Highest praise I can think to say for Chris, as he stocked this gun, but it was too brown for me.
The third pic is a W&C Scott, which I also colored. I can't see any issues, and this is several years after I did them.
What is your concern? It's an analyne die, just like many wood stains use.

John Campbell 04-01-2018 05:41 PM

Edgar:
Nice stocks. Although a bit "brown" to my eye. I've used the leather dye you mention. But on leather. It is too oily for my taste, but seems to work well for you. As I'm sure you know, alkanet root is the basis of classic English stock stains. But difficult to acquire/mix and manage for the novice. Pilkington's does well with a bottled made-for-stockwood formula.

Stock finish is like politics. I should stay out of the discussion...

Kurt Sauers 04-01-2018 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Campbell (Post 239651)
Edgar:
Nice stocks. Although a bit "brown" to my eye. I've used the leather dye you mention. But on leather. It is too oily for my taste, but seems to work well for you. As I'm sure you know, alkanet root is the basis of classic English stock stains. But difficult to acquire/mix and manage for the novice. Pilkington's does well with a bottled made-for-stockwood formula.

Stock finish is like politics. I should stay out of the discussion...

I definitely am a novice and would like to find someone with the experience and know how to do it

Brian Dudley 04-01-2018 10:16 PM

The leather dye in its various colors does have good effects on wood for certain things. I personally have not used it to replicate an english red. And it would not be my first choice for it really. Any finish with alkenet root in the mix will do the trick. Some more than others.

Discussions on wood finishes can go in so many directions. And there is no right or wrong answer. Just what gets the right results for each job.

allan.mclane 04-02-2018 09:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a Grade 2 that Edgar refinished using the Fiebings product he mentioned above.

Attachment 61677

Attachment 61678