Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Website & Forum - Help & Assistance (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   When did Parker introduce Vulcan steel? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10052)

Aaron.dugger 03-24-2013 02:33 AM

When did Parker introduce Vulcan steel?

Hello all
I have a ph 12 gage manufactured 1897
But most of the info I've read says Vulcan
Steel came on the vh in 1899. Can anyone
Help me figure out when Vulcan steel became
Available ?

Dave Suponski 03-24-2013 06:14 AM

Aaron, Vulcan Steel barrels were first advertised in the 1899 catalog. Titanic Steel was first used in 1897 I believe.

Aaron.dugger 03-24-2013 08:21 AM

Thanks
The rib is clearly marked ( Vulcan steel ) & the serial numbers all match.
I'm assuming they probably sold a few before the started advertising.

Chuck Bishop 03-24-2013 08:36 AM

It's not uncommon for a higher grade to have Vulcan barrels. The original barrels could have been damaged and Parker would have used Vulcan barrels as a replacement. Quite often higher grade guns have had a 2nd set of Vulcan barrels added. Vulcan barrels were cheaper in price than Titanic/Acme/Peerless/Whitworth barrels.

Aaron.dugger 03-24-2013 08:49 AM

Would the company have kept record of the barrels being replaced ?

Chuck Bishop 03-24-2013 09:12 AM

Yes, it would be in the Order/Repair books if done in Meriden.

E Robert Fabian 03-24-2013 10:00 PM

I had a 1895 BH with 30" Damascus barrels that was sent back in 1905 for a second set of 28" Vulcan Steel barrels.

Aaron.dugger 03-24-2013 10:19 PM

What does that do to the value? Who's reputable
To clean up or restore? Can I run high brass through
It?

Mark Ouellette 03-25-2013 05:52 AM

Aaron,

Please know that pressure is the important factor in how strong an action or barrels are. Further, low brass or high brass is no indicator of the pressure a shell will generate. The SAAMI maximum mean working pressure for 12 gauge 2 3/4" and 3" ammunition is 11,500. Most modern loads are designed to function dirty semi automatic shotguns and will generate somewhere close to the SAAMI 11,500 PSI. Those promotional low brass shells sold at Wal-Mart all function autoloaders and do this by generating a fairly high pressure.

High brass shells do tend to carry a heavier shot load which at the same muzzle velocity as a lower payload, generates higher recoil than do low brass shells with lower shot loads.

So, are Vulcan barrels safe for high brass shells? Probably if they have not been honed and retain sufficient barrel wall thickness. Will your stock survive a steady diet of heavy shot loads generating high recoil? Probably not! many stocks have been soaking up oil for decades which ran down from the barrels and action. The wood where the stock meets the action may be very soft. A few high brass/high recoil loads and you may have a new crack in the stock which will cost a couple hundred or more to have professionally repaired. That is why one sees older side x sides with bolts pinning the stock just behind the action!

Most of us handload low pressure with low shot loads and break clays all day long.

The best thing to do is to have you gun checked by a gunsmith who knows side by sides.

Mark

Aaron.dugger 03-25-2013 12:53 PM

Thanks everyone !
That's a lot of good information.