Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   wood oils or finish (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22910)

Rick Riddell 12-11-2017 11:42 AM

wood oils or finish

I'm looking to finish a butt stock, nothing fancy or high gloss. Something matte that will protect the wood, are there any oils or finish that could be used to give that look?

John Campbell 12-12-2017 10:10 AM

Mr. Riddell:
It would help to know WHAT kind of buttstock you're attempting to refinish. Parker? Trojan? AH?, etc.

Many "oils" can be applied to look matte. Even the vile Lin-Speed. But good advice hinges on WHAT you are dealing with and the condition it is presently in. Photos would help greatly.

Rick Riddell 12-12-2017 11:46 AM

Kind of stock, a Wood one! Just kidding, its an old beat up GH, most of the finish is gone. Theres no real value, just want to get it protected so it doesnt dry out and crack. Wood finish is new for me, so I thought I would ask, and thank you very much for your reply. Im not looking for original finish just something matte and protective. And please call me Rick!

John Campbell 12-12-2017 12:59 PM

My guess: It may be sufficient to get a bottle of the ubiquitous Tru-Oil and hand rub a SMALL fingertip drop or two onto the stock, taking care not to cover any metal bits like the guard tang or action frame. If the wood looks too "glossy" rub the surface off a bit with a paper towel.

Rick Riddell 12-12-2017 01:05 PM

Thanks John! I'll try it out!

Mark Beasland 12-14-2017 12:11 PM

Timberlux

Rick Riddell 12-15-2017 07:15 PM

Re

1 Attachment(s)
Timberlux! Thanks guys! I totally forgot about it.

Chuck Bishop 12-15-2017 08:08 PM

Why not use shellac like Parrker did? Denatured alcohol will desolve what's on there now. Make a rubbing pad out of an old tee shirt cut about 3x3" and put a cotton ball inside. Get some amber bullseye shellac and dip the pad in the shellac (don't over do it). Then just put a small drop of linseed oil on top of the pad. Apply it to the wood working just a small area of wood at a time using figure 8's. Keep the pad moving, if not it dries so fast the pad will stick to the wood. Put more shellac and oil on the pad as needed. It takes a little practice but you can do many many applications in 1 day. It's also easy to correct mistakes using the alcohol to smooth out drag marks caused by the pad stickking.

Justin Julian 12-18-2017 12:49 PM

Leave the Truoil on the shelf at Walmart where it belongs. Order a half ounce bottle of Timberluxe from the company website and you will not regret it.

Paul Harm 12-21-2017 12:26 PM

I've used a lot of Tru-Oil and have always been satisfied. What's so special about Timberluxe ?