Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Colorado Scaled Quail (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22700)

Shawn Wayment 11-13-2017 06:19 PM

Colorado Scaled Quail

3 Attachment(s)
Numbers seem low on the T Cross Quarter Horse Ranch compared to past years but we still found a few and had great dog work. Love this time of year. Can’t wait to get back at em on Thursday.

Shawn Wayment 11-13-2017 06:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
You know you’ve gotta go even if it’s only one covey of scalies you're gonna find...

Shawn Wayment 11-13-2017 06:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Miles and miles of great scaled quail habitat on the T Cross. My 11 Y/O English Setter Gretchen has permanent neuromuscular damage to her tail...she never recovered from limber tail syndrome. Thank heavens her nose isn’t affected as she’s the best scaled quail dog I've ever hunted with.

Ken Hill 11-13-2017 08:01 PM

Nice to see somebody hunting in this part of the state.

Ken

Daniel G Rainey 11-14-2017 06:52 AM

Thanks for the pics. Great hunt. Maybe I need to add scaled quail to the bucket list.

Harold Lee Pickens 11-14-2017 10:10 AM

Is that the 4E Ithaca you are shooting? My old setter Shiner( deceased) developed what I always thought was limber tail and never recovered. His daughter Betty, has now gone from a beautiful 45 degree tail, to it hanging straight down--she will also sit down on point if it takes me a while to get there, but still is very intense. She is about 13, and I really wonder whether she will be around for the next bird season.
What kind of temperatures are you hunting in out there, this time of year?

Shawn Wayment 11-14-2017 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens (Post 228432)
Is that the 4E Ithaca you are shooting? My old setter Shiner( deceased) developed what I always thought was limber tail and never recovered. His daughter Betty, has now gone from a beautiful 45 degree tail, to it hanging straight down--she will also sit down on point if it takes me a while to get there, but still is very intense. She is about 13, and I really wonder whether she will be around for the next bird season.
What kind of temperatures are you hunting in out there, this time of year?

Hello Harold...

Yes that's my Ithaca 4E. Limber tail syndrome really bums me out! :banghead:

Honestly it's too warm right now...the snakes are still out. It was 71 on Saturday. It's gonna be 67 on Thursday. The 40's to 60's is typical for the Colorado prairie even in Jan.

Shawn Wayment 11-14-2017 10:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here’s Gretchen on scaled quail before limber tail syndrome

Shawn Wayment 11-17-2017 09:23 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Went further south yesterday for scaled quail on the Colorado prairie. Windy and warm has been the theme thus far. Saw one rattler :crying:. Thank heavens the dogs were way out yonder. Cover is thick and the bird numbers seem down from last year even though the game and fish is saying the opposite. We found 5 coveys. Good day

Reggie Bishop 11-17-2017 09:49 AM

I like your setters and your Ithaca guns! Thanks for posting.