Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Cleaning dirty engraving (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30743)

bruce a lyons 07-26-2020 02:04 PM

Cleaning dirty engraving

Any suggestions on cleaning dirty engraving without hurting the case color? Thanks in advance.

edgarspencer 07-26-2020 02:59 PM

Disassembled, soak the receiver and other engraved bits in mineral spirits for a half day, or so. Then, a good blowing off with a fine tipped air nozzle. Toothbrush helps without scratching.
If the gun is assembled, or at least has its stock attached, cotton balls soaked in spirits, held it place for a bit, then toothbrush.

Travis Sims 07-27-2020 07:08 PM

Ultrasonic

Dean Romig 07-27-2020 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgarspencer (Post 307983)
Disassembled, soak the receiver and other engraved bits in mineral spirits for a half day, or so. Then, a good blowing off with a fine tipped air nozzle. Toothbrush helps without scratching.
If the gun is assembled, or at least has its stock attached, cotton balls soaked in spirits, held it place for a bit, then toothbrush.

But DON’T get the mineral spirits on the wood finish!

Jay Gardner 07-27-2020 11:13 PM

This may sound like a dumb question but why do you want to clean it? The dirt/grime actually gives it definition and makes the detail show up. Personally I would probably leave it alone, but there just me.

Brian Dudley 07-29-2020 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 308131)
But DON’T get the mineral spirits on the wood finish!

Mineral spirits generally will not damage wood finishes. It is very mild. Denatured alcohol and acetone are what you have to be careful around.

Brian Dudley 07-29-2020 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Gardner (Post 308141)
This may sound like a dumb question but why do you want to clean it? The dirt/grime actually gives it definition and makes the detail show up. Personally I would probably leave it alone, but there just me.

That may be true in the case of mild build-up in the engraving. But any significant amount certainly does not help the appearance of engraving. I have cleaned many guns that looked like complete crap before hand and after looked like a different gun entirely.
It is a form of maintenance when done properly.

Scott Gentry 08-02-2020 10:11 AM

Cleaning Engraving

3 Attachment(s)
What I did to a DHE

Jay Gardner 08-02-2020 10:13 AM

Wow, that’s very impressive.

edgarspencer 08-02-2020 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Gardner (Post 308141)

Protects those awful case colors from showing too

Jay Gardner 08-02-2020 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgarspencer (Post 308492)
Protects those awful case colors from showing too

Unfortunately the case colors on all of my old Parker’s were long gone. That being said I’m now curious what may be hidden.

What’s the prescription and instructions for using Ballistol to clean a receiver? Looks like a good use for an electric tooth brush.