Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What's a possible cause for extremely stiff action? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41205)

David Livesay 02-11-2024 03:25 PM

What's a possible cause for extremely stiff action?

I have an 1899 Parker GH 12 gauge that is very stiff when it comes to opening the action. When you first push the top lever to the right, you have to force the barrels down. When the gun is broken down, then you must push the lever slightly back to the left. Then when you close the action, it closes smoothly, and the lever returns to the proper position.
I have had the action apart a couple times and have cleaned and lubricated it and can't see anything that looks out of place. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I don't have a local gunsmith available.

Dean Romig 02-11-2024 04:48 PM

Having read what you have already done, all I can think of ts is the cocking slide mechanism needing cleaning and lubrication.

Steve Huffman 02-11-2024 05:12 PM

Has it just happened have you shot it this way Do you know for sure it stays cocked when closed

Tom Hawkins 02-11-2024 06:56 PM

Check the extractor

Check the extractor to see if it moves freely. If it doesn't, take the screw for the extractor (on the bottom of the lug) out. Remove the extractor and clean the extractor hole with a .22 brush. Reassemble and check for improvement.

David Livesay 02-12-2024 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Huffman (Post 405247)
Has it just happened have you shot it this way Do you know for sure it stays cocked when closed

I have not fired the gun, but it does stay cocked as I have dry fired it with snap caps.

David Livesay 02-12-2024 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hawkins (Post 405253)
Check the extractor to see if it moves freely. If it doesn't, take the screw for the extractor (on the bottom of the lug) out. Remove the extractor and clean the extractor hole with a .22 brush. Reassemble and check for improvement.

I will try this, Thanks.

Mike Franzen 02-12-2024 08:04 AM

It could have an oversized roll pin. I have a 16 gauge that acts exactly as you describe after I got it back from a well known gunsmith several years ago. He told me he replaced the roll pin because the original was worn although I had never noticed any loose play. He also replaced all the screws in the receiver for some reason.

David Livesay 02-12-2024 05:05 PM

I just checked the gun again, as it was apart for a while as I was having the wood recheckered. It's only hard to break down the 1st time you do it. After the initial opening and closing, the second and following times it breaks down freely. However, the lever has to be pulled back to the left about 1/2 inch before closing the action. The extractor is moving freely.

Dean Romig 02-12-2024 06:27 PM

Ok, glad you told us that.
So you open it several times subsequent to that first time but what happens the first time you open it after dropping the hammers on empty chambers or snap caps??
If it is again hard to open the first time after that but subsequent openings are easier, it’s the cocking mechanism that is the culprit.
Has it always operated this or was it easy on the first opening prior to this problem occuring??

David Livesay 02-12-2024 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 405337)
Ok, glad you told us that.
So you open it several times subsequent to that first time but what happens the first time you open it after dropping the hammers on empty chambers or snap caps??
If it is again hard to open the first time after that but subsequent openings are easier, it’s the cocking mechanism that is the culprit.
Has it always operated this or was it easy on the first opening prior to this problem occuring??

I've only had the gun a few months and I believe it was always hard to break down the first time after dropping the hammers. So you think it's the cocking mechanism?